Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response >

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 PM

I did my research and wanted a Janome 8900, in the end, bought it online from a store in Texas (I live in NYC), sight unseen, was so pleased with price, I got it even cheaper when I spoke to the salesgirl, that I bought another Janome (smaller one), from them. They give excellent service, and, every time I'm stuck and don't know what to do, I phone them up and they help, so I definitely advice you to buy the cheapest price you can get!
Old 07-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Most any high end machine sold on Amazon is through a dealer. Same as the shop machines just no in house classes. Dealers and shops sell on Amazon usually using different names then their shop name.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:20 PM

I can tell you that I bought my Janome 8900 from a dealer and later found I could have saved at least $2,000 had I done my homework. There is so much info online to teach you how to operate the machine. I learned more online than from the dealer. One good perk was free service the first year but not worth $2,000 dollar difference. Do your homework before buying an expensive machine. I love mine but really i am self taught.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:15 PM

I bought my janome 6300p on line because no dealer close to me i have had no problems w/ it ,and I love it
Old 07-09-2014, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jennykandy View Post
I did my research and wanted a Janome 8900, in the end, bought it online from a store in Texas (I live in NYC), sight unseen, was so pleased with price, I got it even cheaper when I spoke to the salesgirl, that I bought another Janome (smaller one), from them. They give excellent service, and, every time I'm stuck and don't know what to do, I phone them up and they help, so I definitely advice you to buy the cheapest price you can get!
LOL I'm just the opposite, I bought my Janome 6600 from a seller in NYC & I'm in Texas. I bought mine through Ebay, the machine is in like new condition, I even wonder if it was ever really used. I had great comunication with the seller who owns a sewing machine shop. I save over $700 by buying from him and I am still getting emails from him asking if I have any questions on how to work anything. I am tickled to finally have my dream machine & with a savings of over $700 compared to my local Janome dealer.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:24 AM

My LQS offers classes to learn any machine for a small fee. If the online price is significant, it would be worth it to buy and then pay for a class or two.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:04 AM

I love my Juki's - I have the 2010 and the F-600. Great machines for a good price. My bs meter is going off as I read what that dealer told you. Nonesense. He wants to sell you a machine so he degrades the machines that can be bought cheaper. You really don't need a dealer for the Juki's unless you want to spend the extra $$$$ and need hand holding. I don't and would rather spend that extras $ on fabric - well, I do that anyway.
Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
hi! while researching the juki 2010q that i am looking at, i talked to the nearest dealer who is about 4 hours away from where i live. the list price is 1600 and i asked her the difference between buying from a dealer rather than thru say amazon where i can see it listed for less than 1000. she said the boxed machines like the ones you get at joanns walmart etc or the online purchases are not the same quality as a dealer machine. she said that the boxed have the metal screwed right to the plastic and the dealer has a completely metal framework and then the plastic is just the casing on the outside. the other plus is the obvious warranty, maintenance, etc from the dealer. any takers on this? what do you all think? ive only been sewing less than 4 years and opinions are much appreciated! thanks!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:43 AM

Have you contacted the manufacture. With the internet, it is easy to find their offices and asked about the difference and also what the dealer told you. I would also request from them a reliable dealer that could/would provide you with local services such as training and service.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:47 AM

Hi Terri,
You will find that Dealer vs Boxed over all are the same thing. When you go to a DEALER - you are paying for personal service (ie:The sales person, The building, The teacher and her time - to teach you all of the little things about your machine or to hold your hand when you forget how to do something, All of the FREE lessons - you pay for them in the price too). A BOXED machine has NO personal service with it for little things and if you want lessons you will pay a dealer about $45.00 per hour (at least that's the price in Oregon at this time), for an hour of one on one time with a teacher (I've done the one on one and like it better than the classes, because I can address the problem I'm having and learn what I want and get out). The other thing about boxed that you do need to watch out for is if the machine is REFURBISHED. It can be fine, but you still want to know up front so be sure to read all the on line info from the seller and print it out with your CONFORMATION number.
Hope you have fun with your new machine.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 AM

Try calling a local repair person who is not a dealer and ask them if there is a difference. When I was trying to decide which brand of machine to buy I asked my repair person which was the better of the two.