Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you going to sew today?! >

Are you going to sew today?!

Are you going to sew today?!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:57 AM

Beautiful sewing room! The walls/ceiling remind me very much of my daughter's room. She is 21 and a junior in college right now...so maybe I will take over her room when she moves out permanently! Right now, my sewing room is our huge landing area upstairs, complete with a sofa, TV, and exercise equipment. I would love to have a room dedicated totally to me.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hunnib
I'm sewing all day today. I'm trying to get this quilt top done so I can start on my Christmas sewing. The only friends that I have helping me are these little critters and to be honest, they aren't pulling their weight around here. They criticize everything I do! LOL!
OMG, they are so adorable! My boxers like to come into the sewing room, but so far no comments -- apparently they have no sewing opinions! They much prefer me in the kitchen where they have LOTS of ideas and opinions! :D

AND!!! Your sewing room is GORGEOUS!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:10 AM

Thank you, Pam B. This room is the only room upstairs that we have and it's situated over the garage which is the reason for the odd shaped walls. I'm at a disadvantage with the walls not being normal in some ways but in all honesty I wouldn't change a thing because it's cozy and it's "my" little place. I just finished making the valance, covered my bulletin board and covered my sewing chairs to keep them clean. I wasn't sure about the fabric I used in the beginning but now I love it because it's so cheerful. Later this winter my husband said he would help me paint the room white (to reflect more light). It currently is an eggshell color. Thanks for your compliments.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:16 AM

AtHomeSewing: Thank you...If you only knew how many times I "oohed & aahd" over your sewing room! I ran across your pictures after I put my room together already so there was no way to do anything any differently at that point! That one table of yours is "da bomb"!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Hunnib
it's situated over the garage which is the reason for the odd shaped walls.

covered my sewing chairs to keep them clean.
Hunnib - My bedroom has those goofy walls - Very hard to arrange or hang anything. We're in the process of building a downstairs bedroom. I won't know what to do with flat walls! LOL

I love that you covered your chairs! I was never a sewer before quilting, so I never think of those things. That's a good idea.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:37 AM

I'll have to take some pictures of my glorified closet of a craft room - it is just too small for me all around... It's kind of funny when you think about it though - I have a few small walking areas here or there so you can get from one spot to another - mostly I set up the ironing board and roll the embroidery machine cart out in to the hallway lol.. and if I have anyone over we pretty much move in to the kitchen. Someday... I dream of having a bigger craft room some day....

Well... in another 10 years or so my boys will be off to college. I'm already planning to take over on of their rooms and put my quilting frame (if I still have it) in one of their rooms lol.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:39 AM

carrieg - In some ways it's a good thing not to have the full walls because it limits me on what I can hang...I can't go overboard, lol! But then again, I would love to have a design wall. I may have to get my husband to help me make a portable one. He's pretty handy sometimes. He recently made me a couple of ladder type quilt racks, one out of mahogany in our living room and another small one that's painted white in my sewing room.

Covering the chairs wasn't as big an ordeal as I first thought. I grabbed my Sunday newspaper and pinned it to the chair, drew around the shape and sewed it up. I added covered welting to dress it up a bit.

I'm bad about going hog wild when I start a project. This started with the valance. Then I got coordinating fabric and made the chair covers Well, then I had to recover my bulletin board. Then I actually made fabric thumb tacks with button covers and thumb tacks for the bulletin board. Then I thought about a sewing machine and serger machine cover but I got distracted and never got that far.

I do the same thing with the grandchildren. If I make them an outfit, I have to make other things that are matchy, matchy! It's a sickness, I'm telling ya!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by craftydeb
I dream of having a bigger craft room some day....
craftydeb. I hope you get one some day but you sure don't want to get it the way I did...I had a home fire and got a new house. I remember the days of sharing my sewing corner with the guest room. We live at the beach so we have a lot of company and everytime someone would come I had to pack everything up...it was a PITB.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 AM

your room looks great! i have a small room, but i prefer to sew in the kitchen..lol
i finished up my 9 patch blocks, the old way..2" squares, because i used a different color for each one..all in primary colors.
just have to square them up and then put it all together.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-32912.jpe  
Old 10-25-2009, 11:55 AM

My plans today is no sewing, but to wallow in pity as I'm sooooo sick with a nasty cold and just ache alll over!!! Trevor also starts his 12 hour shift overnight tonight starting at 8pm. Normally when he works the overnight weekends I sew late into the night, but not tonight.

Have fun!! Sewing with friends is always fun!