Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Dying Out Craft? >

A Dying Out Craft?

A Dying Out Craft?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:27 AM

I also go to less quilt shows because I know 90% of them are just done on the machine and thats not what I go to see. I think someone needs to have a show of all handwork no matter if its a quilt or other things. If no machines were included I bet that it would really be interesting to see. Maybe split it into 2 catagories instead of bunching them all together. Not as an insult to anyone that likes machine work. I like it too, but it seems to me that its a different art in a way than handwork.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:34 AM

Yes I agree completely. The hand quilted items get a bit drowned out by the machine work, so you have to look for the hand quilted quilts sometimes. Seems they should put them all together. I don't understand the computer work at all. Why bother if you aren't really doing the work? But I am certainly no expert. Just difficult to understand. I noticed how the quilt shows have booths full of machines, machine embroidery and all that new computer stuff. It sort of turns me off that I can't find things for hand work nearly like I used to. Why bother if you are just letting the machine do it? I don't get it but I am sure those that do it understand. I am trying.

It all boils down to what makes ya happy and it seems that machines are doing that for a lot of people.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 AM

Beautiful work rhueluna on the butterflies! I have huge appreciation for hand quilting. Though the machine quilting is fun, it is still my favorite!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:51 AM
PJL

I agree with other quilters who wrote it's a time thing for the abundance of MQ over HQ. People live so much faster now! And there's pros and cons with every society change.

I wish they'd have HQ and MQ categories in shows and do the judging by the category. Judges have their own baises towards machine vs. hand quilting even if they try their best to be objective. They are human and true objectivity is not really possible.

I machine quilt. I like handwork though so I use embroidery to get that thrill or therapy, whichever way you want to label it!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:51 AM

I'm fairly new at quilting but I have enjoyed hand quilting. I keep telling myself I am going to get some sandwiches together so I can teach myself to FMQ but so far I just keep putting it on the back burner!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 AM

I can see that the machine quilting would be fun if you are running the machine by hand. I had a B-line frame set up to try it out, but my home machines all wouldn't work well on it and the tension was imposable to get right. I still have it and may get an expensive machine to give it another try. It was a lot of fun when you are steering around the machine and my granddaughter had a ball too. But the underside when we finished was all loopy and no matter what I did with the tension and the thread and the needle, nothing worked. I need a Juki I guess to try it again. If that didn't work, all the money would be down the drain. I don't want a big fancy outfit like the quilt stores have. Just something I can do at home. Oh well. Someone needs to make a huge bobbin too.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 AM

I agree about hand quilting taking more time but it is also hard for people with arthritis, carpal tunnel etc.

Personally, I don't do any quilting by hand, but no embroidery etc either. I wasn't taught properly and it is awkward like using my toes, so I just quilt by machine.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 AM

I agree - sad but true
Originally Posted by redrummy
I think there will still be some that like to hand quilt. But since it is time intensive, many are going to machine quilting.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 AM

Unfortunately, I think so. Except for the Amish if you have some in your area. When I lived In Lancaster, PA. I had an Amish family, 3 generations, that quilted for me. And, WOW...they were great.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 AM

I love your butterflies. Your handquilting is marvelous. If you are like me you find it relaxing and rewarding. Creating something by hand is good for the soul.