Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Fabric Cards – Tutorial >

Fabric Cards – Tutorial

Fabric Cards – Tutorial

Old 11-30-2010, 06:57 AM
DJ

Originally Posted by oldmountaincrafts
This is a great tutorial. Just one tip! I've been making these for quite some time and instead of using Modge Podge which can get messy and the cardstock and curl, I just iron Heat N Bond to the back of the fabric and then iron it onto the cardstock. It won't burn the cardstock as long you take care to not let the iron stay in one place too long. It's really quick and easy! Enjoy!
Thanks! I tried this today and it worked much better. For some reason, I just hadn't thought of fusing it. I should have removed the paper before cutting the fabrics though, because it made it very hard to cut through all the layers. Then I had to remove the paper from each piece. It would have been much easer to remove from the larger piece and then cut.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:22 PM

Your cards are beautiful and I love the close up of the cat in your tute! haha...so cute! They do need to be the center of attention, don't they!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:44 PM

Gorgeous tute! Thank you.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by DJ
This is a great tutorial. Just one tip! I've been making these for quite some time and instead of using Modge Podge which can get messy and the cardstock and curl, I just iron Heat N Bond to the back of the fabric and then iron it onto the cardstock. It won't burn the cardstock as long you take care to not let the iron stay in one place too long. It's really quick and easy! Enjoy!
Thanks! I tried this today and it worked much better. For some reason, I just hadn't thought of fusing it. I should have removed the paper before cutting the fabrics though, because it made it very hard to cut through all the layers. Then I had to remove the paper from each piece. It would have been much easer to remove from the larger piece and then cut.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about removing the paper. I'm pretty new to all this but I'd love to try the cards. I need to make a card for my granddaughter's b'day next week and she'd just love this. Thanks! Pat
Old 07-08-2011, 05:27 AM

Thanks for the great tutorial!!! Just gave me some more ideas for mine.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:05 AM

I use the Heat & Bond Lite method as well and it works so greatl!!! I prefer Heat & Bond Lite because the Lite will not gum up your needle!!! I also use very a stiff TimeTex instead of card stock and stitching goes much more smoothly. If you don't have TimeTex, use a firm interfacing to replace the card stock.

FOR FABRIC POST CARDS:
Apply Heat & Bond Lite to the face of the card, remove paper and decorate as desired, press well. Then cut a second layer of interfacing the same size to make the back side. For the back side, I cut a piece of solid ivory fabric 1/2 inch larger than the card. Apply Heat & Bond to your card to both sides, remove the paper on ONLY ONE SIDE, and center on the piece of ivory fabric. Iron as directed. Now wrap around your card layer, folding corners until very smooth. Iron according to directions.

NOW, remove the paper on the reverse side of the back. Carefully, stack the two cards together, making sure to have the CORRECT SIDE facing out!!!. Press the two layers together until well bonded. Let cool!

I like to use a blanket stitch to finish the card on all four sides for a very completed look. By stitching in this method, your layers are secured for use! Enjoy!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by PghPat
Originally Posted by DJ
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about removing the paper. I'm pretty new to all this but I'd love to try the cards. I need to make a card for my granddaughter's b'day next week and she'd just love this. Thanks! Pat
Pat, I don't know if any one has contacted you or noT with regards to 'removing the paper' Here is my reply for what I hope will answer your uncertainty:

Heat and Bond is a'double' adhesive attached to a paper cover. This paper should NEVER BE REMOVED' until after you've ironed it to the surface you wish to use. Then you remove the paper and, in single layer, apply your fabrics, paper, trims or whatever you intend to use for the decor. Once you've decorated the surface to your satisfaction, cover the trims with a Teflon sheet and press with a hot iron, according to the directions on the Heat & Bond pkg. Let the item cool and it will be ready for you to enjoy or give for someone else to enjoy. HOPE THIS HELPS!

BTW...the Teflon Sheet is really a good notion to use when working with and using Heat & Bond or any other adhesive application, excluding regular glue. THIS KEEPS YOUR IRON CLEAN TOO!!! Any adhesive attached to the Teflon Sheet should just peel away when cool.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DJ
To make 8 greeting cards . . .
You will need:
*8 blank greeting cards (4 1/4" x 5 1/2" in this case)
*Sharp rotary blade
*Old rotary blade to cut cardstock
*8 different fabrics
*Four 8-1/2 X 11 sheets of cardstock
*Glue or glue stick
*Paint brush if not using glue stick
*Contrasting thread

1 ~ Cut fabrics approximately 5 1/2”(+) x 8 1/2”(+)
those are pretty. thanks for the tut
Old 07-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

That is awesome
Old 07-10-2011, 11:52 AM

Thank you for this tutorial. This is something I just got into and you've made some things much clearer for me.