Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why  would you hand piece a quilt? >

Why would you hand piece a quilt?

Why would you hand piece a quilt?

Old 08-29-2010, 03:35 PM

I have always hand quilted but I have gone to machine piecing mostly because my hands are getting stiff. I have also hand pieced some patterns because they are more accurate by hand. If I'm not hand quilting something, I am making yo yos. or have boxes with some project that I do while setting with DH . I am one of those people that has to keep my hands busy all the time. Can't sit still too long either.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

I used to hand piece and loved how it made me feel but I haven't done it lately and I want so badly to get back into it. It is so theraputic and easy to take anywhere. Thanks for reminding me that I want to start something where I can start hand piecing again.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Like many others I hand piece because it gives my hands something to do and occupies my mind. I feel more comfortable with something in my hands to do. I have never been able to just sit and relax.. if I have something to do I'm much more likely to relax and enjoy myself..

If I have nothing I get jittery.. and then anxious and then grouchy.. no one likes me that way including me.. plus, it's portable.. I can always have something with me.

To me having handwork is like a soothing balm.. I'm happy with it and miserable without it!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 PM

Hand piecing just makes me feel good. Plus I can make my points pointed and get all the seams to come together perfectly (don't get the same result with the sewing machine).
Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 AM

I won't hand quilt because it hurts my wrists too much but I am definitely in love with hand piecing - The Celtic Illusions pattern is a bit picky when putting together the 9 patch blocks with the diagonal ones - much more accuracy with hand piecing!

Here's a question - I travel by plane for my job and I would love to take my hand work with me on the airplane especially on long haul flights - but what are the rules for taking pins and such? I figure that nail clippers will work in place of scissors, but the other stuff? I have been afraid to try because I don't want the stuff to get confiscated.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:46 AM

I do counted cross stich when traveling, but I have never hand pieced or hand quilted. I'm fairly new to quilting and I just thought hand quilting would take too long. After reading this thread, I think I might want to try it. I'm on vacation next week and maybe I'll try starting the Grandmothers Flower Garden I love. (easier than taking the machine)
That was one of the last quilts my Mom made and I always thought is was the prettiest. I think I actually have her cardboard template piece somewhere. Better hurry, I have 5 days to get this ready to take.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:48 AM

Hand sewing is therapuetic and rewarding. Look at the pride and pleasure you get out of the completed section or product. Hopefully the recipient loves it as much as you do. I hand quilt whenever possible, even larger block and I hand sew all bindings.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:55 AM

I espeially enjoy it in the warm weather when I can take it to my front porch. I'll be cooped up in that sewing room all winter long!
Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 AM

I hand piece (usually English Paper Piecing) or make hand appliqued blocks so that I have a portable project for trips, waiting rooms, guild meetings, etc. At home I machine piece. I love both.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 AM

The very first full-sized quilt I made was for my daughter when she was 2 years old. I wanted to have something that was as completely made by hand by me as I could get (without spinning the thread and weaving the cloth!), so she could have an heirloom. I hand pieced and hand quilted it. She still treasures it over 20 years later, so it was worth the slower progress to me. I imagine it still has some blood stains from my pricked fingers, too!