saving favorite fabric

saving favorite fabric

Old 10-02-2010, 12:49 PM

Same here! :lol:
Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 PM

yes ma`am, i will :)
Old 10-02-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
do any of you have some pieces of favorite fabric you have purchased that you just can't bring yourself to cut for a quilt? I have several I really love but am afraid to take the plunge and make a decision on what to make with them? Seems easier to use lesser liked fabric b/c if you goof up it does not hurt so much.
I find myself in your position very often. I also do scrappy quilts, and many of my favorite pieces of fabric have found their way into at least five or six of these scrappies.

But what about the large pieces of fabric, like the Laurel Burch fabrics, particularly the horse fabrics. I am trying to design a quilt around these fabrics and I'm having a devil of a time. Any one out there who can lend me a brain cell or two, on how to actually get these lovely fabrics set into a quilt? Thanks for everyone's and anyone's help.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Yes, I have many of those... I keep saying I am waiting for the "perfect" pattern for them LOL
That's me. I have 2 pieces in particular, that I have had for a couple of years. I figure when I see the rite pattern, it will call my name!
Old 10-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Hi Fancy Nancy,

We all seem to have one or two, maybe more pieces that we have trouble parting with by cutting them up.

I was just looking at an old magazine dealing with this dilema. The suggestion was to make a table cloth using your favorite material as the center. I started thinking how nice they could really be. Have a couple that I am going to use that way. Hope this helps you so you don't have to cut your favorites up.

Daisy Dell another Il. person, Elgin, Il.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
do any of you have some pieces of favorite fabric you have purchased that you just can't bring yourself to cut for a quilt? I have several I really love but am afraid to take the plunge and make a decision on what to make with them? Seems easier to use lesser liked fabric b/c if you goof up it does not hurt so much.
OMG! I thought I was the only one who did that! I have some fabrics I just love and hate to part with... I enjoy looking at them and dreaming of the beautiful things they will make. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 10-02-2010, 03:20 PM

I keep saying to myself that I will use it when I get to be a better piecer.. :) I have been quilting a long time now and still can't seem to use my favorite fabrics yet... :)
Old 10-02-2010, 03:25 PM

I've discovered recently that quilts don't have to be made entirely from little bitty pieces.

You can cut big pieces and 'frame' them to show off that gorgeous print you hate to cut.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:25 PM

A friend of mine calls these fabrics "strokers" you get them out and stroke them, hang them up and look at them, fold and put away and in a few days, take them out and stroke them again. I actually have one "stroker" I actually paid $20 a yard for it. It is just beautiful and hand dyed. Believe me it is the ONLY yard of fabric I will ever have that costs that. I've enjoyed stroking it for almost 10 years. May just take it with me when I die--grin.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:32 PM

I love the Asian fabrics that have a touch of gold in them. Have a bunch of FQ's and can't bring myself to use them. My favorite color is blue and I have hard time using up the blues. No pattern is perfect for them (yet). I get them out, pet them, refold them, and put them back. But this is one that I love the best, only bought 2 yards and have no idea what I am going to do with it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90199.jpe