Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok Quilters...what is your dream machine that you use??? >

Ok Quilters...what is your dream machine that you use???

Ok Quilters...what is your dream machine that you use???

Old 10-26-2010, 06:19 AM

I envy you all your babylocks and other expensive machines, but I can't bring myself to pay that for a sewing machine. I'm hard on them, go through a new one every few years. I got a Brother HE120 that is about to kick the bucket after about 4 years.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:20 AM

Butterflyquilter:

So sorry your machine died. Can new life be breathed in it? If not start serving soup and sandwiches for lunch and dinner, put away the rest of your grocery money for a new or used machine. If complaints come your way, luxuries come in different packages, eating high on the hog is a luxury so soup and sandwiches will have to do.

Look in the papers for machines for sale, sometimes there are real bargains out there and at very good prices. Always insist on a certified dealer to check out the machine before laying out your luxury money for the machine.

Good luck with your search for a machine because we all know we can't live without them. This is just a little bump in your creative world, but don't stop creating because when you get another machine, what a happy girl you will be. Your husband will be much happier too with a talented artist busy on her canvas of life.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:23 AM

I'm with you, Marie! I LOVE my Pfaff machines. I sew mostly on a Pfaff Creative Vision - which I piece on, and embroider. I have a Pfaff 2058 that travels with me - love it too! I also own a beautiful Pfaff from 1860. Still works and is very smooth, but it's a showpiece, I don't sew on her. Quilting - ok, I'm a bit spoiled, my DIL and I have a quilt shop and we have a Gammill Statler stitcher.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:30 AM

Sew Lovins,
I love showing off my machines! They are so pretty and they work great too. I have 2 other treadle heads and cabinets, but they need lots of work before they are functional.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 AM
Dkm

Bernina 153. The best machine ever made and, of course, they don't make them anymore.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by qwkslver
I envy you all your babylocks and other expensive machines, but I can't bring myself to pay that for a sewing machine. I'm hard on them, go through a new one every few years. I got a Brother HE120 that is about to kick the bucket after about 4 years.
One thing I've learned through the years is that, one needs to buy good quality tools and maintain them properly and they will serve you well for years if not decades. I used to sell new sewing machines and learned that the machines that cost at least $300-600 work so much better than the cheaper machines in the $200 range and less. You wouldn't buy a car that was poorly made would you? So why do so with a sewing machine? You deserve a good machine and then you don't have to replace them every 3 -4 years. Sadly the Singer machines made now, aren't what they used to be; mostly clunky,
poorly made things. If you treat yourself to an older machine that's well made, you'll be suprised how much better you like sewing.
Getting off my soapbox now. :D
Old 10-26-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by qwkslver
One thing I've learned through the years is that, one needs to buy good quality tools and maintain them properly and they will serve you well for years if not decades. I used to sell new sewing machines and learned that the machines that cost at least $300-600 work so much better than the cheaper machines in the $200 range and less. You wouldn't buy a car that was poorly made would you? So why do so with a sewing machine? You deserve a good machine and then you don't have to replace them every 4 years. Sadly the Singer machines made now, aren't what they used to be; mostly clunky,
poorly made things.
:cry:
Getting off my soapbox now. :D
so true! You get what you pay for!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:43 AM

I took my first quilt class with a Pfaff 7570..when I was able to buy a new machine I went with the Bernina 830 and got the quilt frame as a freebie. My Pfaff is a complete work horse and the Bernina is too..just a bit more bells & whistles. I do wish I had gotten the Mega Hoop instead of the frame though...I can't bring myself to pay $400 for 1 hoop. No matter how cool it is.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by butterflyquilter
I did use a janome for piecing but it quit tonight. My husband has informed me that a sewing machine is a luxury so I am not going to be quilting for awhile.
I would tell him he is a luxury and I could do without him. Priorities here.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:48 AM

I have a Hasqvarna Viking Designer I and I love it.
Bought it when i retired over three years ago.