Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this >

will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this

will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this

Old 11-24-2010, 09:30 PM

I did shop early on the Friday after T'giving a few times - on my way to work. But it just got too crazy for me. When I do go shopping, especially at this time of the year, I try to go out of my way to smile & thank the staff that help me. Even if they're a bit grumpy & also to be even nicer to them if the customers ahead of me were nasty to them. I also carry "Get out of H*ll Free" cards to hand out if things are really bad for them! :wink: (PM me if you want to know where to get your own cards!)
I really don't see any reason to open a store at 4am for frenzied shoppers!
Good luck to any who work retail at this time of the year!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:58 PM

Call us crazy, but when I was scheduling for JoAnn's, I had employees who requested the early shift. We all liked the excitement of the day after a holiday. We were never open on the holiday, of course. Personally, I preferred to come in at 9:00 am and be the closer. I didn't mind the twelve hour shift, but I had an aversion to going to work in the dark - just not a morning person. We also had 'at will' employees to help out. They couldn't touch the register and only one could cut fabric, but it sure helped to have others specifically to put away fabric and keep things tidy. I also had my district manager, and one time, a regional manager show up to work. Great cutters! I wonder if they still do that.
IMO, the only stores that need to be open on holidays are one gas station, one drugstore with the pharmacy open, one grocery and one or two restaurants. Sadly, as long as people patronize the stores that are open, they will continue to be.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:19 AM
BMP

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I guess I feel little to no compassion for them. lol sorry I don't. My husband works in a prison. They can not close up shop and send everyone home because it is a holiday. My husband will also be working Christmas. Do I like it NO does he have a JOB YES am I thankful for that YES. We have to put our whole day on hold until Sunday when he is off. Why because he has to work AT LEAST an eight hour shift. Depending on how many others decide to call in because they would rather spend time with their family and friends than be at their job he may have to work 16 hours straight, from 4pm to 8am. A friend of mine works at the hospital. people don't stop getting sick just because its a holiday. she still has to be at work tomorrow morning at 9:30 and work till 5:30.

Its a job, if they don't like it there are millions of people in this great country that would love to take their place.

By the way....don't count on state emplopyees getting that extra pay either. My husband will get 8 hours of comp time that he will have to take out in trade prior to the 15th of next month. but then he will get a negative log note for HAVING to take off a day during high vacation use time. Negative log not means he can not interview for sgt. next time a slot comes open!

If people would stop breaking the law maybe I would have a softer heart. Until then my husband will have to work holidays and I will go out shopping!
My son works in a prison here and we have learned to adjust our holiday celebrations to fit his schedule many times. He volunteers to work double shifts especially on Christmas so that they guys who have children can be home.
I dont get too upset about it, its part of the job for some to work holidays but its not part of retail and some other types of buisness's to be open on them.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:43 AM

About 15 yrs ago, we were required to open the store on a holiday. I opened the register, did sales for 3 hours, then cashed out the drawer to show the office we did not do enough business to warrant staying open. Worked like a charm. It cost them more to be open than to stay closed.

Now, I will NOT shop on any holiday. Just a matter of principle.