Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DH asks silly questions >

DH asks silly questions

DH asks silly questions

Old 12-07-2010, 04:34 PM

I remember drawing specific events at 4 and sewing and crafting from around the same age - really sewing with machines etc from the age of 7. Where do people who don't sew or create think that the ideas come from? Some people have to remain creative in this area or life would be a bit HO - Hum.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:49 PM

I learned to sew on a single thread machine. It was a Wilcox & Gibbs and did not use a bobbin. I loved that machine, but you had to be really careful to end your stitching so that it would not undo. It was very easy to rip out mistakes, just pull the right thread and it's ripped out and you are ready to go again.

I had a bit of a problem later learning to use a bobbin, but when it's rip out time, I feel kind of nostalgic about my old Wilcox & Gibbs. I guess I am giving my age away with this tale, but 81 isn't that old! Is it?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM

My mom didn't sew but wanted me to learn. When I was 12 I wanted to join 4-H & learn about horses. Mom made me take sewing. :( I don't remember learning a thing. :)
Later in high school I took Home Ec & learned to sew. I've always appreciated the Ability but never Enjoyed it. FASTFOWARD to grandbabies--I've fallen in love with sewing.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:19 PM

My mom says it was before i started school..i can remember sitting on her bed with needle and thread...i love fabric.and sewing.. i like to go to the fabric shop and just run my hand down a long isle and feel the softness of the fabric.....o no ...i must be crazy....hahahahaha
Old 12-07-2010, 06:39 PM

My first memory of crafting was when I was about 4 or 5 and doing needlepoint. Then mom and I cut out felt clothes for my trolls (that dates me, doesn't it!) and that's how I learned to sew on buttons and snaps. I sewed clothes for my dolls more than I actually played with the dolls. I made many outfits and even a gown to wear in high school. I learned to crochet in college, then got into the counted cross stitch and candlewicking craze. When I had a son and daughter, they became my "dolls" to sew for, and I learned how to do English smocking. And yes, my daughter, her doll, and I always matched at Christmas and Easter. Now that she's in college and doesn't think it's cool to dress like me (LOL), I had to find a new sewing passion - so on to quilting I go!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:44 PM

You might ask DH why he plays golf, fishes or whatever his hobby or to do thing is and see what his reply is. Then tell him you sew because you enjoy it. At least that's why I sew. I'm very lucky my DH never says anything about my sewing, fabric I buy or anything. But then I don't ask, I just get what I want if I can afford it at the time and nothing is ever said. I don't think he has any clue as to how much fabric or quilting supplies I have, mostly likely doesn't care either. lol.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:53 PM

I hand sewed things at a young age. I learned how to sew on a machine when I was nine and by the time I was in junior high I made all my clothes. I made my first quilt in 1978 and there's no turning back.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:05 PM

DH asks silly questions looks like
Duh - silly question when read quickly.
Millions of us sew. I've always sewn. Doll clothes first. Mom wouldn't let me learn till the home ec class in 7th grade. I was hooked. Made most of my own clothes till I started quilting about 12 years later. Hooked on quilting with the first quilt. That was nearly 30 years ago. It's in my blood. Something I GOTTA do.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by jbj137
I think I was born sewing.
J J
That's Funny, I was told once I was born with a rotary cutter in my hand.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:12 PM

I wanted to learn to sew from about age 8. My mom had a sewing machine but she never sewed, only did repairs. My grandmother tried to teach me one summer when I was 12, but we really didn't have enough time during her visit. I couldn't wait to get to high school and take home ec. I took all four years, made almost all my clothes in high school. I made most of my kid's clothes, and mine, and sewed for other people- clothing and decor stuff too- pillows, bedspreads, drapes, etc. I crochet, knit, embroider, needlepoint, cross stitch, and just about anything else you can think of. But once I started making quilts, that was it. I don't sew clothes any more. I live to quilt. The bottom line is: I LOVE FABRIC!