Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snowed in. YAY! >

Snowed in. YAY!

Snowed in. YAY!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
Last night I braved the crowds at Walmart to get 1.) coffee and 2.) thread. I'm a happy quilter today.
We have about 8 inches, but live a quarter mile off the main road.It is very difficult to get out of here!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM

We are having a heat wave here , down under , to hot to go out so sitting in te sewing room is great this weather , I am right under the aircon .
Old 01-11-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I guess you Northerners laugh about being "snowed in" with just 3" of snow - but the whole south STOPS when it snows. I'm expected to do nothing but quilt. And I'm in the middle of a project that I'm SOOOOOOOOO excited about!
You betcha.........heheheh, lol............we got 8" on top of 2' of snow we already had. But it didn't close anything down this time. I94 for closed last weekend from Bismarck,ND into MN.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 PM

perfect!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 PM

You're right that those of us in the North don't get it when a few inches closes down a city, but we have the equipment to deal with it. A state of emergency doesn't even get called unless the snow is coming down faster than the plows can clear it and then only if it's building up to the point of no cars moving. It takes a lot to close a road up here. And even if they do, some of us Canucks still try to get there, just for the 'thrill.' Mind you, our town's snow removal budget in in the million+ range. Before Christmas we did have a doozy of a storm. My 4' fence had only 6" showing. And there were hundreds of people stranded on the 401 (like an interstate) for days.
I personally don't mind the "snow days". But we also prepare for the possibility. You never let yourself run out of certain foods, and everyone has a freezer for extra stock. Most have an alternate source of cooking like a BBQ or camp stove. Some also have generators if there in an area that gets a ton of snow and has frequent power outages.
Costco was selling a lot of roof rakes this year for shovelling the snow off the roofs - the weight can collapse them if there is enough.
I don't want to propel the myth that we have snow in July as soon as you get over the border, but, in Canada, we swap 'snow' stories the same way fishermen swap 'fish' stories....."It was soooooooo deep, I lost my pickup!" etc.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:12 PM

We even had snow in Dallas Sunday. It was very calm out-no wind and the snow was beautiful. I could look out at it as I was cutting fabric. It was great!
Susan
Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 PM

I expect to be snowed in by morning here in NJ and plan to quilt all day. School has already been cancelled so I don't have to get up early to take that phone call! Hooray! I'll make some soup, and some homemade bread and enjoy not having to go outside till I feel like shoveling a path to my car. I am well-stocked with fabric and food---that's all I need, as long as the power doesn't go out!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:40 PM

I always said a snow day is a day for me! Everyone knows they are on their own. Fabric-quilting-sewing-creating....Here I come!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
You're right that those of us in the North don't get it when a few inches closes down a city, but we have the equipment to deal with it. A state of emergency doesn't even get called unless the snow is coming down faster than the plows can clear it and then only if it's building up to the point of no cars moving. It takes a lot to close a road up here. And even if they do, some of us Canucks still try to get there, just for the 'thrill.' Mind you, our town's snow removal budget in in the million+ range. Before Christmas we did have a doozy of a storm. My 4' fence had only 6" showing. And there were hundreds of people stranded on the 401 (like an interstate) for days.
I personally don't mind the "snow days". But we also prepare for the possibility. You never let yourself run out of certain foods, and everyone has a freezer for extra stock. Most have an alternate source of cooking like a BBQ or camp stove. Some also have generators if there in an area that gets a ton of snow and has frequent power outages.
Costco was selling a lot of roof rakes this year for shovelling the snow off the roofs - the weight can collapse them if there is enough.
I don't want to propel the myth that we have snow in July as soon as you get over the border, but, in Canada, we swap 'snow' stories the same way fishermen swap 'fish' stories....."It was soooooooo deep, I lost my pickup!" etc.
That is funny but I remember walking on top of cars without knowing they were there in the Blizzard of "78 here in New England .Hope this isn't going to be a repeat performance.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:44 PM

Yes, am snowed in too. We didn't get the ice Atl did but lots of snow. I work "over the mountain" in Chatsworth so after a call to the Sherrif's office about road conditions, 282 is shut down, guess I'll be in tomorrow....quilting...Oh, shucky durns....
How was that for a run on sentence?