Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No stash -- on purpose?? >

No stash -- on purpose??

No stash -- on purpose??

Old 01-15-2011, 07:05 AM

"I was thinking PATHETIC :!: How could you call yourself a quilter without a stash :?: :shock: :-o :roll:[/quote]

I call myself a POOR QUILTER!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:09 AM

I have so much fabric that i don't know what to do, now that is a shame, when the grandkids started comeing i was so busy taking care of them i didn't have the time to sew, now i'm taking care of my sons two little boys and still don't have the time. Oh, what a great way to live. I get the best of both
Old 01-15-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I was thinking PATHETIC :!: How could you call yourself a quilter without a stash :?: :shock: :-o :roll:
Serious?

WOW!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-160590.jpe  
Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 AM

Scrappy quilts are my favorite. I am making a scrappy grandmother's flower garden right now. I take all the tiny scraps from my quilting friends. I love the variety.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:35 AM

To each his own. If that works for someone, to not have a stash, that's OK.
I love the fact that I can go downstairs and shop in my stash and make FREE quilts. I live in an area that I have to go at least 30 to 60 miles to have more of a selection of quilt shops and fabric. I like to have supplies on hand.
The term "Free Quilts" is one that my DH came up with. When I told him one time that I got all the fabric out of my stash - he said that is was free. So, I use this term all the time now.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:01 AM

I do not have a stash - ON PURPOSE. That said, I do NOT give my scraps away. They are stored neatly and I draw from them when I can, or when I need a project but can't afford to buy.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 AM

We should avoid to judge the stash of our friend quilters. We all live in a free country where there is no quilt police to inspect our stash. Some of us have the money or the credit card to buy at will. Some of us hide what they buy, some are happy to go to garage sales, Some will quilt on the kitchen table, some have a quilting room all to themselves. Some make quilts by the dozen, some produce one every two years. We are all women (men) with a different life story, and a passion that cannot be measured of love of quilting. We learn one from the others, we commiserate on our hard spots in life, we are happy to share our joys.The new year is just beginning , can we just take the resolution of respecting each other.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:35 AM

I have a small stash of left over fabric and some I bought at a yard sale for cheap. But I basically buy for a quilt. I do look at my stash first and then add to that from the store unless it is something that I only want a new modern color scheme then usually my stash doesn't have it.

I do a lot of applique so I need my stash of scraps for that.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:12 AM

I have a very modest supply of fabric on hand, and I like it that way! This last year I spent a lot more on new older machines than on fabric. I started out just getting the fabric I needed for one project, LOL still have some of the left overs from them, back 22 years ago. I found that if you have not used it in that long, you problaly won't so pass it along. And my taste in fabric has changed so much, I gave lots of bags of fabrics I had for years to a group of quilters in a poor area for charity quilts. Better for them to have it and use it than for it just sitting on a shelf here, why?? Just so I can say I have a stash, think not. I do not have a problem with those who do have a nice large stash, and I feel they should not have a problem with me not having a large stash. I've made over 400 quilts to date, so I condider myself a quilter. If I still had all that fabric I would indeed have a nice huge stash. So I guess it just boils down to, what do ya do with all your fabric?? look at it or use it? no problem with me either way!!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Banned

I don't know. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with any quilter that doesn't have an ever growing stash! Of course, I'm kidding. :wink: I have a sizeable stash, but I am working on wittling it down and not buying any new fabric until I have made a heavy dent in it. And by the way, that's not working so well for me either! I'm weak! :mrgreen: