Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stash Organizing Question >
  • Stash Organizing Question

• Stash Organizing Question

Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 PM

My sorting method keeps evolving. I sort my yardage by color and type, such as florals, juvenile, holidays, blenders, batiks, solids, flannels, fleece, etc., all folded the same way using a 6x24 ruler and stacked on shelves so I can see at a glance what I have available. Fat quarters are also sorted the same way folded neatly and stored vertically in small clear bins. If I buy full bolts I keep those standing on the shelf. I also have a great collection of sample pieces, panels and other smaller pieces that I sort by collection and store in plastic stacked drawers. These are wonderful for scrappy quilts and smaller projects. Then I have my real scraps that are just tossed in a small tub. Stabilizers, fusibles, batting, etc. are kept on the bolt or folded flat on a shelf. All of this is kept in a walk-in closet that is well-lit and off-limits to pets. Once I get started on a project I pull what I need, cut it and pack it into a large zip-lock bag so everything stays together. My sewing room is a bit small but keeping it organized really helps me be more productive and focused.
    Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 PM

Since I buy all cotton fabrics, it's easy for me to sort. I usually buy no less than 3 yds of any fabric. This is how I sort:

All fabrics above 1 yd is sorted buy color unless it was bought for a particular project, then it is put in a container for that project.

All fabrics 1/2 to 1 yd is put into one container since I don't have much more then that at any one time. Of course it is sorted in that container by color.

Anything below 1/2 yd is considered as scraps which I through into a contain until I get around to cutting them into squares or what ever pieces I can to make more quits from. This is where some of the quilts I made for the soldiers came from.

If by change there are still scraps left over after scrapping them out, I have another container to hold all the tiny pieces so that someday when I have time I can maybe learn to make the small doll quilts or use them in smaller projects. So far I am still building and have not used them.
    Old 01-24-2011, 05:32 PM

Sort? What is that? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 01-24-2011, 06:24 PM

. Laurel Burch has her own shelf. I have to get those UFOs done, and I have a misc shelf that has some fleece and a few things for sewing clothes. It looks fabulous and I said about 100 times, oh I love this. So I think that creates another UFO. So does that mean we made progress or lost it? Doesn't matter we had a terrific day and now she knows the difference between yards, fat quarters and fat eights![/quote]

I also have a special section just for Laurel Burch.
    Pam
    Old 01-24-2011, 06:32 PM

This is my new years project! I am a fabricaholic, and also inherited my mothers stash, so it is a major project. I have acquired bookcases for 3 corners of my quilting room, the 4th has 4 sets of rolling plastic drawers. Someone at my local guild suggested fat quarters in one section (plastic drawers), and also for quarter yards. Everything 1 yard and under, is folded in a specific manner, also in drawers. Over 1 yard to about 3 or 3 1/2 yards gets folded as a bolt, but without the bolt, they are too bulky and take up baluable space ( I have tried that, looked like my own store!). Anything more than 3 1/2 yards is folded the same way, but in a seperate section for backings, along with the wide fabric. Of course, I also have a bunch of smaller containers that fit the lower shelfs, they contain fabric for specific projects so that something does not get used for a different project. I have a seperate large tub for all batiks, under the long arm. flannels are also in their own drawer, along with Christmas fabric. Threads have their own drawer. I just added a custom built cabinet that my Dad had made for record albums, it is doing a nice job of 3 ring binders that I am filing patterns and magazine collections for future use. I have decided to not renew any of my scripts after starting to go thru all of mine and Moms, I will never have time to make all that I would like to!!! My room is starting to take shape, however, I have been emptying tubs of fabric onto my long arm table for the sorting process, and it is still piled. Oh, I am also cutting all those little scraps into the largest pieces it will take, just to get rid of it. I have managed to get 2 queen size scrap quilts cut out since the new year. A fellow quilter also suggested to just have a collection of cut squares, then when you see a scrap pattern, you will probably have more than half of it already cut! and you are eliminating all those small pieces that you don't know what to do with!!! Sorry this is so long, I got carried away.
    Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 PM

As I have sorted mine for storage until we move, I used the cardboard and then pulled it out to use on the next piece. They are still all folded nicely ,but don't have the extra piece in there.
    Old 01-24-2011, 07:26 PM

I get the cardboard forms (for free) from the fabric stores that fabric is wrapped on. They are about 7- 1/2 inches wide, and about 22 long and usually folded. Bring them home and cut each side lengthwise into two pieces about 11 inches long. Then fold your fabric with the fold to the selvege so that it's only about 11 inches wide, and wrap around the cardboard piece. If you have shelves about 12 inches apart insert each like you would a book, and the edges out. They are so easy to access the fabric you need and put it back without having to dig to the bottom of a pile. There is a tut on this website that gives a wonderful example of storing your fabric like this. She has pics and a better explanation than mine. Hope this helps!
    Old 01-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelady
    I would go by color, with a couple of exceptions. Asian fabric would have it's own area, as would batiks. oh, and probably children themed fabric would be separate too. . Hmm.. and flannels.
    As would Halloween and Christmas. Maybe Easter. I guess there are several different ways, but I start with color.
    Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM

I organize by color,but.....I have a section for kids, a section for Christmas, a section for novelty, and a section for "why did I buy this and what will I ever do with it".
    Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 PM

I put together 4 or more fabrics that look good for a quilt and fold them, stack and wrap a ribbon around them. They stay that way until I "need" to steal one of the pieces. This happens frequently so eventually I end up with a mess and have to start all over again.