Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am >

weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 AM

Missy
We need to see pics of those little baby hats!
Congrats on the new someone!
lisa
Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 AM

Purplemem

Tell us what book?

Lisa
Old 03-15-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
Originally Posted by Leann
Originally Posted by CAROLJ
Originally Posted by judyfry
Hi. I weighed in this am at 183.0 which looks like I had a 2.2 pound gain. I am not worried as it is the monthly weigh-in that counts, so I try not to focus too much on the weekly. This week I completed 2 QOV and 1 baby quilt plus I am making a dozen heart blocks for NZ and collecting hearts for their "wall of hearts". I have been busy and now I am going to see how I can help the Tsunami survivors. I think I will limit it to a donation to the JRC. TTFN
Judy Fry, California
OK what does QOV, NZ, JRC and TTFN mean?

You live in one of my favorite cities, SLO town! I lived there and Baywood Park.
Carol, just my guess
QOV- quilts of valor
NZ - New Zealand
JRC - Japan Red Cross
TTFN - ta ta for now

Did I get it right?

lynne
Looks good to me! I need sunglasses cuz you're so brillent!
Yeah right, but thanks for the good vibes!

Gonna finish our taxes today so I can see the accountant tomorrow. I am so antsy to start a new quilt. Still need to finish current project.

I want to do a twisted bargello and/or a french braid. I have several I need to make for gifts. Plus I wanna participate in the scrappy rail fence swap.

Duh, the list is long.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Hello my beloved Peeps. I am very happy to say that my surgery has been rescheduled. My new surgery date is April 28. This makes me happy because now I do not feel like I have to starve myself. I have 6 weeks to lose the weight. I can do it. That is my mantra:

I can do it!
I can do it!

On a side note...I have met someone very special. Since most of you who have been doing this channel know about how yucky my last relationship ended will be happy to know that I think I have found someone who will treat me like a princess and love me for me.

Yay! Good news all around!

I have insomnia tonight. I wish I could be with my special person but that is not an option right now.

Tomorrow I am going to go to the hospital to weigh in and then after I see my psychiatrist I will go to Curves to see if I am able to use their machines. We will see how that goes.

I have spent the day knitting newborn baby hats. They are so darn cute! I wish I have a little baby to put one of the hats on. Sooo cute!!

I hope everyone here is doing well and I will try and do some catch up on all the posts.

Take care you guys!

Missy
Missy so glad you met someone special
Old 03-15-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by ljs317
Purplemem

Tell us what book?

Lisa
Lisa,
The book is Happiness Key by Emilie Richards. I love her books, but this one is slower than most. It was still a good read, about women finding themselves. a little mystery involved.

I am excited that I actually finished it. I'm beginning to get back to myself...I used to read constantly.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Originally Posted by ljs317
Purplemem

Tell us what book?

Lisa
Lisa,
The book is Happiness Key by Emilie Richards. I love her books, but this one is slower than most. It was still a good read, about women finding themselves. a little mystery involved.

I am excited that I actually finished it. I'm beginning to get back to myself...I used to read constantly.
MJ,
Glad to see something positive happening for you.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 AM

purplemem
Thanks! for the information. I love to read and it drives my family nutty. I can read really fast and can finish most books in about two or three hours. However the library and some book stores just love me. My daughter says that if she stops for just a second I'll be reading the label on her shirt. I just finished the The Girl with the dragon tattoo and the girl who played with fire and the girl who kicked the hornets nest, also the Dark portal and Awakening and that was just on sat. I have to stop reading now and do some quilting because I finally got my sewing machine back on Sunday but thats another story.
lisa
Old 03-15-2011, 09:20 AM

I haven't read that series, Lisa, but I hear it is really good. I'm going to start the New Tom Clancy book tonight.

I put salsa chicken in the crock pot for tonight's supper, first time to cook in 2 weeks. Tonight I will watch NCIS.

I finally got the PUL fabric I ordered to line the diaper bags I'm making, so I'm headed to the sewing room. This is a blessing cuz I haven't been there in more than a week.

Thank you for your prayers. I believe prayer is the key to life.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:19 PM

Meal timing matters when you exercise for weight loss

Don't start your workout on a full tummy
By Patricia Chuey, For Postmedia News March 14, 2011

If you're well along in your weight-loss plan, with luck you've formed some helpful new habits and your motivation remains high.

Don't let anything divert you from your new path. Consistent positive changes to eating and exercise habits will produce great results in time. Everyone I've ever known who persisted enjoyed great results.

One way to help ensure this is to look at what you're eating and when in relation to your exercise routine.

What should you eat before exercise? It depends how much time you have.

Avoid having your body working to digest the food you just ate; it should be burning stored fat.

If there's an hour or less between eating and exercise, eat something light -just enough to fuel the workout. A small banana, 175 grams of yogurt, half a cup of a smoothie or half an energy bar along with water, for example. This works well if you exercise first thing in the morning and don't have much appetite. In this case, a bedtime snack eaten about two hours before going to bed is worth adding. Try one slice of cinnamon toast, a small bowl of healthy cereal or a small portion of dinner leftovers.

If you have at least two hours before exercising, eat a small balanced meal. A bowl of cereal with a piece of fruit or a small lunch are good options.

With three hours or more, you can eat a larger meal. Professional hockey players, for example, eat a well-balanced dinner about four hours before a game and top up with a light snack closer to start time.

During exercise lasting less than about 90 minutes, especially when weight loss is the goal, the only nutritional issue to consider is hydration. Aim to have about one-quarter to one-half cup of water every 15 to 20 minutes. This reduces fatigue and allows you to push harder longer.

For exercise beyond 90 minutes, hydrate and replace carbohydrates. Think of distance runners. They ideally take in about 30 to 60 grams per hour of easy-to-digest carbs. Don't worry if you're not yet at this level.

After exercise, replace lost fluids by drinking water. Maximize food quality after exercise as this is the fuel that helps cells recover from the grind.

A fruit-yogurt smoothie, an apple with a handful of almonds or a balanced meal make great choices.

If there's only time for a beverage, about one cup of milk or chocolate milk is a logical choice. It hydrates while supplying carbohydrate and protein energy, along with electrolytes lost in sweat such as sodium and calcium.

If you're debating whether to exercise before or after eating a meal, for weight loss exercise first. Activity boosts metabolism, the body's ability to burn calories. At least in theory, food eaten after exercise is burned more efficiently.

Although exercise stimulates appetite, it also helps in choosing healthier foods -you don't want to negate the positive effects of the activity by eating the wrong foods.

Exercise is an absolute requirement for weight loss. So along with your new and improved eating habits, keep at it, not just at the gym but by walking instead of driving and in every other way that fits into your routine. Every bit counts.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:23 PM

I sewed today! Yippee! I cut and got most of a baby quilt sewed, well, the top, that is. I need to do the final border.

I'm pretty excited. Also made one more baby burp cloth.

I am so grateful to be getting my groove back.

Supper was awesome. Salsa Chicken.
recipe:

1 serving chicken (breast, etc.) for each person
1 package chicken taco seasoning
1 cup salsa (hot or mild, your choice)
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Place all in crockpot, cook for 6 hours on low.
Add up to 1 cup sour cream.

Serve over rice with green veggie.

Great supper! And easy!