Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • We did it again - NOT smart!  =O >
  • We did it again - NOT smart! =O

• We did it again - NOT smart! =O

Old 04-16-2011, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kappy
    Originally Posted by ptquilts
    Maybe if you just leave it there the skunk fairy will take it away and leave you a quarter :-)
    Do Not Fall For This...I have tried it with the Fat fairy and it just doesn't work! LOL :wink:
    LOL! You both are so funny... :D
    Old 04-16-2011, 03:31 AM

I have been away from Minnesota for over 40 years but still remember the smell of them at night when they were disturbed and sprayed. They used to attack my moms duck and chicken nests and get the eggs out of the nests. And when the dog chased them and got sprayed he used to go in the swamp to try to get rid of the smell off his fur. Havent smelt one since I come to Australia guess I am not missing anything.
    Old 04-16-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by quiltpd
    Can I tell you about my skunk episode ?! Dh and I had a skunk meander into our house about 9:30 one evening this past Fall !! Course we were panic stricken while trying to remain calm. The skunk ambled into our living room and curled up under a table like it was there for the night ! My Dh was finally able to softly prod it back out the front door !! And, thank goodness, it didn't spray !! Still can't figure out why we were so blessed - LOL
    How on earth did it get in?? Did/do you have a pet door that it came through?
    Old 04-16-2011, 08:36 PM

I didn't realize it, and now I'm sorry I do, but skunks can climbed the side of a 6 ft privacy fence. In, and out even with dogs chasing it
    Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
    I didn't realize it, and now I'm sorry I do, but skunks can climbed the side of a 6 ft privacy fence. In, and out even with dogs chasing it
    Did you see the skunk climb the fence? I had a pet skunk and he couldn't climb anything. Not saying they can't, just know that skunks are heavy of body and have short legs and they are very near sighted. That is why you see so many dead on roads. Also, for those who don't know, skunks do a little hand stand when they spray. If you see one start to stamp their front feet and starting to do little hand stands, go the other way! That is probably why they don't spray when they are in the trap cage. Let me know if you saw the skunk climb the fence.
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:33 PM
    Power Poster

I have watched Billy the Exterminator on TV when he caught a skunk. When he approached the cage that little b&w tail went up lickety spit. Billy backed up very very carefully. I think the key to spraying in a cage is how tall the cage it and can they get their weapon locked and loaded.
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by drgranny
    Originally Posted by RugosaB
    Did you see the skunk climb the fence? I had a pet skunk and he couldn't climb anything. Not saying they can't, just know that skunks are heavy of body and have short legs and they are very near sighted. That is why you see so many dead on roads. Also, for those who don't know, skunks do a little hand stand when they spray. If you see one start to stamp their front feet and starting to do little hand stands, go the other way! That is probably why they don't spray when they are in the trap cage. Let me know if you saw the skunk climb the fence.
    I saw it. I also saw 3 dogs who didn't seem to care about the spray, they tried to get it anyways. He's dead now, but I had a dog, 23 inches at the shoulder, that jumped the fence too

But I also didn't know rabbits screamed until I saw 4 dogs get one, grab a leg, and pull, 4 different dirctions
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:50 AM

EEEEWWWWW
    Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 AM

Deer scream too. My first husband and I lived on an estate as caretakers, where deer came down from the forest to eat apples in the orchard and graze in the lawn. One nite we were awakend from a sound sleep by something screaming. I nearly scared us to death! He got a flashlight and his rifle and we went to check it out.We saw deer but nothing else. Went back the next day and only found deer tracks. We didn't think it could of been a deer. My husband had been raised in the woods in the mountains in a little canyon where no one else lived. We asked his dad about it and he said yes deer scream. Still not quite believing it we asked some relatives who lived on a ranch. The wife said she was outside hanging laundry and heard screaming and ran to the house to see if it was one of the kids. Kids Ok. She put them in the pickup and drove about and found a fawn trapped in a barb wire fence. The doe was screaming trying to help it out. Chris said she had lived on a ranch all of her life and had never heard a deer scream. So I guess it doesn't happen often.
    Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 AM

I saw it. I also saw 3 dogs who didn't seem to care about the spray, they tried to get it anyways. He's dead now, but I had a dog, 23 inches at the shoulder, that jumped the fence too

I will remember that. We used to have a family of skunks that roamed down town at nite. (we live in a business bldg. downtown) and they would get in a little carport behind us. One day the stupid animal contrl guy caught a really big one and he set the cage/trap in the middle of the street and shot the skunk with a shot gun. I don't understand why he couldn't have taken it some place else to shoot it. I don't even understand why he had to shoot it.