Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle Turn Applique Quilts >

Needle Turn Applique Quilts

Needle Turn Applique Quilts

Old 05-18-2011, 05:56 AM

I am learning how to do it right now. Slow going, especially on the points! But, I will be proud when it is done, as it is much prettier than machine applique.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:56 AM

yes, that's right.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I just love the results of needle turn Applique, but it seems like there are less, and less people doing it.
I hate to ask but is this part of the quilting art dying out?
How many are still out there doing this amazing part of the quilting art?
How long before you had confidence in your skills?
I love to do needle turn also. I am a Civil War reenactor and I was taught at one of our events. I love the feeling of continuity with the past. Just tell yourself that quilters have been doing this for a very long time and that you are honoring them with your efforts. It doesn't have to be perfect; just done with love.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:05 AM

I just love the results of needle turn Applique, but it seems like there are less, and less people doing it.
I love to do Needle turn!!! I have won ribbons for my work... I have found the more I do it, the better my stitches are. If you use silk thread, (yls) in a neutral or taupe shade, your thread will disappear
and will look very good. Also do keep your stitches short, so you can control the needle and the thread... If your guild, or local quilt shop offers classes on it, do take one... Jan Patek is a great teacher of this. I am not sure there might be a tut of it on u-tube. Good Luck and happy stitchen!!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:05 AM

I love to do Needle turn!!! I have won ribbons for my work... I have found the more I do it, the better my stitches are. If you use silk thread, (yls) in a neutral or taupe shade, your thread will disappear
and will look very good. Also do keep your stitches short, so you can control the needle and the thread... If your guild, or local quilt shop offers classes on it, do take one... Jan Patek is a great teacher of this. I am not sure there might be a tut of it on u-tube. Good Luck and happy stitchen!!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:11 AM

I like to do needle turn but just on things that will not get rough use. I use a machine on baby quilts that will get drug around and washed alot but needle turn on wall hangings and table toppers.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 AM

PS.... I forgot to add the short pins with the white head on them that are especially for applique, are a great help! And'.... if you pin from the back, the pin points will not get you hung up!! I truly recommend you to take a class! you will learn so many great tips to have a great blocks!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
I still do it, but I think it is dying out(like most hand work). I don't do it exclusively. I machine applique. And I both machine & hand quilt and hand & machine piece.

Some enjoy the process and the result. Others like to get to the result faster. I'm not too interested in books or pattterns that emphasize the speed of a project. Dont' care for great big blocks just to finish quicker. But for many busy women today, that's the way to go.

I hope that in the future these hand techniques don't die out.
I SO AGREE sewinglady - Even thou I started late in life (in my 50's) I did not even know about machine applique or quilting. Now I can not do as much as I did because "uncle Arthur-itis" visits too frequently, but attached is a quilt I'm working on (very slowly) that is all hand applique & I'm in the process of hand quilting.

Guess I'm not into "quantity" so much now that I'm older. The fast pace of the world now leaves me wondering how much of the beauty & joy of life many are missing because they are in such a hurry to cram as much into 24 hrs. as they can. But then that obviously just dates me doesn't it
:roll:

Have a blessed day & may all your quilts be filled w/love :lol:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-198602.jpe  
Old 05-18-2011, 06:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
It's an instant gratification kind of society it seems. Personally, I prefer hand applique over that fusible junk.
Yes - UNFORTUNATELY :XD:
Old 05-18-2011, 06:38 AM

I love to applique and I still hand quilt my quilts. I guess we live in a society that wants to get everything done quickly and move on. I know I am old fashion but I just love the results of hand work and especially applique. I find it very relaxing and I can watch TV and do it . Patterns are becoming a little more available especially Baltimore quilt patterns.