Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Downsize your Magazines >

How to Downsize your Magazines

How to Downsize your Magazines

Old 05-30-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Evie
I've been doing the same thing for years and have accumulated five 3-inch binders worth of patterns and articles. But, I've started decluttering. For the last two nights I've culled through two binders and tossed out patterns which are very basic (collected at the start of my quilting journey) or that no longer hold my interest. It's amazing how my "likes" have changed over the years. Only three more binders to go! :lol:
That's a good idea......easy to do in the evening for me...think I'll start tonight!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Donna, I am with you. I once did the same, cut up magazines and put what I thought I liked in binders... then a friend gave me an old collection of her magagzines. and I realize, what I like today, isn't necessarily what I will like tomorrow, or next year... it takes space, but I keep them in tack.. Quilter 1234
Old 05-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

This is how I save free patterns from the internet. Works great!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by merrylouw
Years ago my DH (who taught marketing in college) told me that 75% of a magazine is advertizing. So, my stacks of magazines 2 feet tall were only 6 inches of content I was interested in! Yikes!

From then on, I mutilated my magazines! As I went thru it the first time, I tore out each article I was interested in and dropped it in a file folder. Later, I sorted the articles into categories: recipes, decorating, crafting, quilting, etc. Then into folders or binders.

Now, I'm digitizing everything! I'm scanning the paper copies onto my computer into similar folders and GETTING RID OF THE PAPER!!

Yipee!!!
I love your idea about scanning them. I too have them in binders but, the binder collection is growing. Do you mind if I ask how you have them filed on the computer? By Magazine or type (applique, paper piecing, etc). Thanks for the idea.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:26 PM

What's really funny, is that I started doing it last night and ran out of sheet protectors.
Get the lightest weight you can find. Make sure that you get several 3 ring binders. And one 1 inch binder for current projects.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:52 PM

I also have saved only the patterns I want, gave the magazines away and don't you know someone wanted the pattern I saved that was in a magazine I gave her!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:40 PM

I do exactly what you do - saves a lot of space.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:34 PM

I did the same thing when we had to downsize. I put them all in the same plastic protectors and then in binders. It sure eliminated a lot of clutter.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by wendiq
Originally Posted by Evie
I've been doing the same thing for years and have accumulated five 3-inch binders worth of patterns and articles. But, I've started decluttering. For the last two nights I've culled through two binders and tossed out patterns which are very basic (collected at the start of my quilting journey) or that no longer hold my interest. It's amazing how my "likes" have changed over the years. Only three more binders to go! :lol:
That's a good idea......easy to do in the evening for me...think I'll start tonight!
I have been doing this for a while now. I have several extra large 3-ring binders filled with the patterns I've selected. However I still have SO many magazines to go through. I started giving up my subscriptions when they ran out a couple of years ago. I'm now down to just one that I don't want to stop just yet. As I look through them I figure that if I had the years left to make every one of these quilts that I want, I would still be quilting them at the age of one hundred and fifty. I wonder if that's possible? :lol:
Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 PM

How about scanning the articles, patterns or ideas you want to keep and pass the magazines with other quilters?