Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix >

recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix

recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix

Old 06-05-2011, 09:13 AM

'Do what you can afford or want to do and don't apologize. It's YOUR life, YOUR money and YOUR time, and YOUR retirement. You aren't responsible to "support" someone else's retirement/income. Yikes.'

I couldn't of said it better, justflyingin!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:39 AM

I get mine at the thrift stores, my LQS will sale me there clearance for 2.00 a yard sometimes, I got several bolts and fat quarters at a yard sale last week, but mostly my friends will give me fabrics they are not going to use....and sometimes I buy with coupons or mark downs at JoAnns.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:15 PM

No shame in being frugal in tough times.[/quote]

Amen!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:19 PM

I basically only buy "second-hand" fabric. I do alot of trading on here and the are so many kind people on here who have sent fabric. Its all about paying it forward. I try to send others what they are looking for if I have it. Nothing like getting a box of fabric in the mail and having no idea what you are getting. Garage sales and flea markets finds are awsome too. I am also helping my two boys with college and loans.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:49 PM

I hope that I can always be lucky enough to be able to support my LQS when I need fabric off the bolt. And I do know that I'm lucky--I am absolutely not judging anyone, period, the end. I just fear the day when Walmart and other souless corporations have driven "mom and pop" businesses out of business.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:43 PM

I'm not working and been out of a job for 4 yrs now,had a car accident and find it hard to do anything for a long time. I have been working from my stash and I could probably quilt for years before running out. I can't afford to go and buy fabric at LQS it's just gone up so high in price. I don't buy patterns or books there are so many nice things on here that I don't need to....I love this site.....
Old 06-06-2011, 09:11 PM

I support my LQS, by checking out the remnant bin and the sale sections. I've never spent more that $5.oo a yard for fabric there, and sometimes the notions are cheaper than at JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby. I even picked up Bubble Jet Set for a pittance: they had done a class on printing on fabric, and had one jar left over. But I also check out our local thrift shops not just for yardage but for usable fabric from clothing as well. Also check out JA, HL, Wally's remnant sections every time I'm there. While there is merit in supporting LQS, remember the staff at the chains are also local people who need paychecks, even if the profit goes elsewhere.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:39 PM

It's amazing how much material is in a manufactured pillow sham. Hit the thrift stores, half the fun is tearing it apart to see how much is in there.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by lisalisa
I've never set foot into a fabric store but every week come home with something to add to my fairly large stash obtained via thrift stores. I'm always on the hunt for things I can cut up as well. If it's cotton, it's fair game.
Would love to see pictures of your quilts! Such a wonderful post!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:56 PM

I'm a huge fan of yard sale finds!!!
and this month I have discovered fabric.com, I just have to be careful on there to not just get something B/C it is on sale...

My Mom made most of my quilts out of my Dad's old button down shirts and our old skirts/shirts... It made for some careful planning as some of the pieces really were much smaller than others...