Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paypal~~Please read >

Paypal~~Please read

Paypal~~Please read

Old 08-29-2011, 05:42 AM

I got that same email a while ago and because I had a dispute with a seller going on I clicked on it. My virus program grabbed it asap and it shut my puter down. I right away removed and cancelled my credit card with paypal. I wanted to sell some fabric on the board but my new card hasn't come yet. You should also do a complete virus scan on your puter and make sure you have updated your virus program first.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:43 AM

Many thanks for this information, have a nice day
Old 08-29-2011, 06:00 AM

Thank you so very much for the info, I never click on those kinds of things; but, it is so good to have this reminder. If only the jerks that do this kind of stuff would apply their knowledge to doing good things - ah well and in a perfect world...
Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 AM
Swap Hosts

Never ever not ever click on an email link from Paypal. Always log in at your account. Crooks can make some very convincing emails that look like the real thing.

Even though I am very careful I just had an incident. One of my vendors called to tell me that she charged me the wrong amount so I logged into my account and was shocked to see nearly $2,000 in charges for computer equipment! To make a long story short, someone got hold of my name, account number and telephone number and purchased stuff that was then sent to Ohio to someone who just tacked my last name onto theirs.

I called Paypal and they closed that card and sent a new one. After a couple of weeks they issued me a provisional credit. That means it could be reversed depending on the outcome. I called the police department in the town in question and started an investigation. Only after forwarding my emails to the police did Paypal tell me that the refund was now permanent.

I don't know how crooks get hold of this information, but they do. I am very careful but I still got taken. So be sure to review all of your accounts closely to be certain that nothing is off.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02
I know many of us use paypal, and I have never had an issue with them at all. But I did this morning receive an email from them. Instead of clicking on the link that was provided I called them instead. This email is one of those that is trying to get your information. I do not understand completely how its done, but I do know enough not to click on links. I just wanted to warn everyone here, because I know some might click on it, and the scammers would get your info. Here is a copy of the email that I received:

Dear PayPal Member

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system.We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

Our system detected unusual charges to a credit card linked to your PayPal account.

Reference Number: PPxxxxxxxxx

This is the Last reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

Click here to activate your account

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologise for any inconvenience
So if you get anything like this, call paypal, do not click on the link provided. Paypal will as you to send them a copy of the email so they can research and try to figure out who is sending these.

You're right. It's a scam. Isn't it sad that some people have no life and just create havoc for others? Watch out for UPS emails and others as well.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:13 AM

The moral decay of these individuals drives me absolutely nuts!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 AM

One of these e-mails comes around at least once a year. I don't open but I send a copy to Paypal. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:29 AM

Thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 06:52 AM

Yes, these crooks are getting smarter all the time. Yesterday I got an e-mail from supposedly Wells Fargo, that my Visa card was frozen and to unfreeze it I had to press one . I do not trade with Wells Fargo or have a Visa card. I was smart enough not to press one and just deleted it. Beware
IdahoSandy
Old 08-29-2011, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Some people will go to any lengths to get information. Twice this month I received the spam email regarding being on vacation and robbed. The latest was supposedly from the owner of our LQS, I notified her but did not hear anything back, but I feel I did what I felt needed to be done.

Everyone needs to be extra careful.