Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Sewing Machines..... >

Singer Sewing Machines.....

Singer Sewing Machines.....

Old 09-06-2011, 04:23 PM

This may not be true now, but at one time I heard that the cutourier houses in Paris use the old treadle machines to sew their clothes because the stitches are beautiful and they are strong. They are quiet and dependable and will sew through almost anything.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:41 PM

I just gave a Singer to a young gal who had no machine. She was delighted and I feel like I've contributed to the world of new quilters. It was one of 8 machines that I have, and I knew it was going to a good place. She's a single mom of three, and couldn't afford a machine, but her mom pays her way so she can attend quilt retreats.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:50 PM

I have a 1920 Hand crank Singer. I think it needs new tension discs. The little wire looks like it has been bent. I also need a manual for it. Any information about parts would be appreciated.
Ronda in Louisiana
Old 09-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by greenthread3
I have a 1920 Hand crank Singer. I think it needs new tension discs. The little wire looks like it has been bent. I also need a manual for it. Any information about parts would be appreciated.
Ronda in Louisiana
try sew classic - Jenny has the tension parts - if you can follow a pattern you can rebuild that tension. Just take deep breaths and follow the picture in an owner's manual. Use a muffin tin to put the parts in the order you take them off. Put them back in the opposite order. Most machines have very similar tensions. The tension disks can be cleaned up usually. You can look on Ismaccs http://www.ismacs.net/manuals.html if you know your model number.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 PM

I sew on all my vintage machines. When I go into my sewing room I look around and pick the "lucky" one and go for it. It has gotten so that I sew on my older mechanical machines more than my newer ones. Funny thing is I usually have less problems with the old machines....too many bells and wistles for an old brain on the new ones.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM

I have 2 FeatherWeights and I use them to do all my piecing.
Just saw that you can also get a stitch in the ditch foot which I want to try. They are a super machine to use and light and easy to take to quilting class.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 PM

I have a White treadle that belonged to my great grandmother. Although it works, I don't sew on it. It's a lovely piece of furniture though! My mother has a singer that she purchased new in 1954 when I was 3 years old. She has told me that when she is "through with it" it is coming to me. I'm looking forward to having it. I can piece on it while my Pfaff is embroidering.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:07 PM

I just love my vintage machines, five of them. I use them all the time! I use my Janomes some of the times. I can't imagine parting with my old Singers! They are my go to machines.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by debby wicke
Please some explain to me why the excitement over antique sewing machines. I don't understand.
I like mine 'cause:
If you happen to loose power, like during a storm, mine will still be able to sew. Very "green" as mine are foot powered.
I get some exercise( well maybe the exercise isn't that great lol but it sounds healthy at least)
The stitches are nice and straight.
The more simple something is the less can go wrong with it.
I think the old treadles are much prettier.
I don't need or use all those buttons to make stitches I will never use.

Those are some of my reasons but some people like'em and some don't.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 PM

I have 12 machines. 5 are antiques. All 12 of my machines are in working condition.