Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Feathers Over Done? >

Are Feathers Over Done?

Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:01 AM

I just got my long arm in April and haven't even ATTEMPTED a feather yet. I don't like dense quilting on my quilts. Feathers are very nice, but I just think they look like someone used the computerized designs to achieve that perfection. My long arm is a simple one, and I have not gone beyond meandering yet, and that suits my purposes just fine. My quilts are mostly charity quilts or to be used and loved, so I don't think feathers are necessary there.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:18 AM

I'm with you, I love the feathers but they do seem to be overdone. I want to get my quilts finished, not spend more time than it took to make the quilt top by doing feathers all over it. Some are very distracting from the colors and design of the quilt itself.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
me too....they have their place, but not too many and not on ALL quilts..and I hate/dispise MICRO quilting....I like to see some space/fabric showing..not just stitching everywhere...
I have been saying the same thing to myself but thought it was just me.
k3n
Power Poster

I think a distinction needs to be made between bed quilts - ie quilts to be used which are nicer soft (though dense quilting can be soft if the correct wadding is used) and art quilts where the quilting is an inherent part of the design... It seems to me that many of you are talking exclusively about bed quilts but art quilts are quilts too.

PS Why is it that so many of these discussions on here instead of being an honest and frank exchange of views, with room for everyone's opinions, quickly degenerate into ppl hating this and that and indirectly or even directly insulting others' tastes? Some ppl seem to have issues the second we get away from oohing and aahing over each others' work. It's a shame. :?

I think feathers used in the right spots are beautiful and I have yet to master them. I like quilts that have a softness and an even density over the entire surface. IMHO micro quilting tends to distort the quilt with its heavily quilted areas and puffy spots.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 AM

I have to agree! I saw a beautiful bargello quilt recently but the quilting was so dense you could not get a good view of the quilt design. I know long armers have a talent and do beautiful work but it would be nice if the piecing could show itself as well. Piecers also have a talent and do beautiful work. I think they compliment each other when both are allowed to be seen. Just saying.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:30 AM

I have only LA 13 quilts. Two of them have feathers. One as a border for practice so I could learn how. The other as motifs and borders to enhance a Dresden Plate quilt. I didn't quilt it densely and the plates pop. I have done pantos on charity quilts and on a customer quilt that enhanced that quilt also. I have done free hand designs on a few more and love it. Three of them, my friend wanted the quilting to be the focus so they are more densely done and she was thrilled. I personally prefer less dense quilting and love feathers. However, I do what the quilt needs and the piecer wants. Every situation is not the same. Definitely not every quilt is the same and everyone has different tastes. We have a lot of talented quilters on this board so no one should get stuck with something they don't want.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:37 AM

You are right some of the quilting is so overdone the quit would feel like a hard board. It would be nice to see quilts with less quilting, so the quilt would remain soft.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:37 AM

I love feathers, if I want a cuddly quilt I will tie it. Then there is no stitching except holding the pieces together with square knots. I can't do feathers yet, but I am practiciting. I love meandering and sometimes I get a little close with it but Oh well, they are for me.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
Originally Posted by aorlflood
I agree. But I also like machine quilting that is less dense, too.
I agree, when it is too dense, you cant tell what the quilt looked like.
I agree completely! I am novice at best, but when looking at some of the quilts on here, the top is completely lost. If I were to ever learn/ quilt anything that much, I would do it in all solids, as that is what you are apparently wanting to show off the most. In saying that, the quilting is beautiful, but I always think it's a shame that the pattern is in the "background", if it can be seen at all. I am burnt out on feathers...sorry. :)