Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Blades >

Rotary Blades

Rotary Blades

Old 10-05-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Originally Posted by cjomomma
It has made the blade sharper. My blade had a teeny tiny little spot where it skipped when cutting now it doesn't skip. Now to try it on my 60mm that I only have 1 blade for and haven't used in a year.
I tried it on the 60mm blade that wouldn't cut at all and now it does. I found that you just have to keep at it. When the foil is in small pieces just keep piling it up until your blade is sharp. I think it's worth it.
CJmomma, Thanks for 'biteing the proverbial bullit for us' :thumbup: :wink:
Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by CharlotteO
Like most of you, I hate to pay the price for rotary blades, even with a coupon. My sharpener is OK, but only does a 45mm blade. I have searched and searched for better sharpeners, and they are out there, but they are relatively expensive. Today the light bulb finally lit up, and I searched for how to sharpen your own rotary blade. I haven't tried this, but it sure won't cost much to try it. Supposed to work with scissors also.

http://www.pennyshands.blogspot.com/...ter-blade.html
Sounds like the same process that people use to sharpen up the paper punches that are used for scrapbooking. Foil will sharpen and they also recommend using wax paper to make the mechanism work better.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Not too long ago, I did throw away a bunch of blades, after filling the case that they come in to the brim. That's how it goes when you throw something away, you find later that you could have gotten more use out of them. This information will be helpful though in the future, TY for the post.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by CharlotteO
Like most of you, I hate to pay the price for rotary blades, even with a coupon. My sharpener is OK, but only does a 45mm blade. I have searched and searched for better sharpeners, and they are out there, but they are relatively expensive. Today the light bulb finally lit up, and I searched for how to sharpen your own rotary blade. I haven't tried this, but it sure won't cost much to try it. Supposed to work with scissors also.

http://www.pennyshands.blogspot.com/...ter-blade.html
Thanks for sharing CharlotteO. Any tips that help us save money i love!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:54 AM

I have done this with sissors before.. Got the tip from a friend.. It does work for awhile.. I never thought about trying it on my rotary cutter. I do alot of pp and it dulls fast.. Great tip. thank you
Old 10-06-2011, 05:52 PM

You may have saved my bank account. I have a large stack of dull blades that I could not bear to throw out. I even bought a blade sharpener (the pine where you twist the dull blade against a ring of sandpaper). I couldn't tell that it did anything but make my hand tired. I'll try the foil.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM

It's certainly worth a try, especially if you are planning to pitch the old blade in the trash. Sharpeners can be pricey and you never know which one to buy. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:41 AM

great tip!