Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not.. >
  • Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not..

• Advice needed: Jean Quilt or not..

Old 01-09-2012, 01:02 PM

You will need to use a size 100 needle to get thru all those seams. It isn't hard to make, just heavy!
    Old 01-09-2012, 01:13 PM

Denim lends it self well to a rag quilt. I've made one with denim on one side and flannelette on the other. Depending on where you live I don't think it's necessary to use batting. Increase the seam size to 1/2 inac, or 3/4 inch. It will last forever. The hardest part of the quilt is cutting up the jeans, it's a big job. In my own humble opinion this is what quilting is all about. If you were close to her this could also be very therapeutic. If you've never made a rag quilt before I suggest you give it a go. You won't be disappointed.
    Old 01-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Any lightly worn jeans go to thrift store--they fly out of the bins. Well-worn jeans get deconstructed (snip the hems on all sides of the inseams and outerseams and rip them up the legs). If your machine doesn't like denim seams, you can join brick-style.
    Old 01-09-2012, 03:54 PM

Very Very heavy, hard to roll over in bed. Another thing is what washing machine will wash one.
    Old 01-09-2012, 03:55 PM

I made a queen size with all kinds of denim scraps. Everything from dress weight to overalls.
    The pieces were large and different shapes. Wish I could remember the pattern. Then I appliqued
    black cats around on top in various 'cat poses'. It turned out really neat and one of my kiddos
    picked it right up. I did hand quilt it tho, and needless to say, I'd think twice about doing that
    again. Just used a good muslin on the back and regular weight batting.
    Old 01-09-2012, 04:52 PM

I made a denim and flannel rag quilt for my MIL this Christmas. Wasn't hard since only one layer was denim,,
    Old 01-09-2012, 06:38 PM

I have promised to make my friend a jean quilt. So does everyone agree that I do not need to put batting in it. I thought it would need some to make it puffy. Please, what do you think?
    Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM

i made 2 jean quilts for my grandsons and they love them i used the pockets and the zippers too i made 10 inch squares they were rag quilts and i didnt put any batting in them they were heavy enough without any and i used cotton on the othere side with flames and motorcycles.. it was fun to make and i am a beginner quilter so you can do it and you will enjoy it...
    Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM

Just a hint on using the rag die--Last time I used it I placed one thickness of newspaper between the die and the fabric and it cut down almost to nothing the amount of threads one has to remove from the die.
    Old 01-09-2012, 09:09 PM

In the last couple of years I've made about 20 jeans quilts (about 76 X 90 inches) for my kids and grandkids. On some of them I put a light batting in the middle but the last ones I've just quilted the denim pieced top and flannel for the backing. Yes...I quilted them. I liked that a lot better than tying. I used crochet thread, doubled and quilted with a country stitch. They've been a lot of fun to make and embellish with pocket and labels and buttons and zippers and just anything that I liked. It has been a lot of work but a lot of fun too. I didn't cut up any levis that could have been worn...just levis that were too far gone.