Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok, let's be honest >

Ok, let's be honest

Ok, let's be honest

Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 AM

I love Love LOVE this!

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
I cant sew a straight 1/4 inch seam to save my life..
I cant make a perfect point...
I cant make all my seams nestle perfectly against each other...
But
I CAN make a quilt that will wrap someone in warmth..
I CAN make a quilt to show that they are loved
I CAN make a quilt to hug them when I am not around..
Old 01-30-2012, 08:15 AM

A couple of tips:

Don't watch the needle as you sew. Keep your eye on the 1/4" mark on your throat plate. Try this and you will be surprised at how much your stitching improves!
Use a tool to help guide the fabric, especially at bulky seams, at the beginning of the seam and at the end. I use a large corsage pin.
Remove pins as you sew. Hitting a pin with the needle can seriously mess up the timing on your machine, break needles, or cause burrs on the bobbin case. Yikes!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:22 AM

After going back and reading all the replies, I see that some of you are having trouble with rulers that are not square. I use ONLY Creative Grid rulers. They are accurate, easy to read, and have grippers on the back to prevent sliding.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:25 AM

I bought a 1/4 inch foot to help, I'm better but still not perfect. I think it adds to the charm of my quilts. At least that is what I am telling myself. lol
Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 AM

I always use a guide to keep my seams straight. On long seams speed is the word, but on shorter seams slow is better, also I used to sew over pins, but no more. Once you get the rhythm going, you can remove the pins as you go along. I only use pins to match seams or for points. My seams are usually straight and 1/4 inch. You notice that I said usually.
Sue
Old 01-30-2012, 08:46 AM

I do not always sew straight. I own about a dozen seam rippers though! Guess why?

Slow and steady usually helps me, and I'll admit it - I'm fanatical about seam ripping when it isn't right.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 AM

I can't sew straight enough but I keep trying!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:01 AM

I love this thread. I don't do perfect seams but in my mind they are perfect. Being new back to quilting there is so much to learn. I find that i do go slow when piecing together. I agree with all those who said that as long as the quilt keeps them warm and cuddly like I am hugging them, then that is all that matters. I don't' think they are looking for perfection. Although I guess If I was entering a quilt into a show I might try for perfection.........Not gonna do that one. But I can admire all those who are brave enough to do that so the rest of us can go to the show and admire their work. I'll just settle for Johnny Cash, Elvis, the aliens and the cats helping me out.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 AM

Ditto, I do my best. and if my bests veers to the right or left so be it, as long as it comes out fairly straight and looks nice I am happy, spent way too many hours using my seam ripper, for a straight line no such entity in my world......LOL

Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
I cut and sew just fine - straight as can be - but all my patterns and rulers are veering to the right! Sometimes they are off by a quarter inch or more! I wonder if I can get my money back?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 AM

1-4 good quilting buddy! Slow and straight. Put your pins further in so you don't sew over them. Mark the seam if you are having a real problem and sew on the straight line.

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
you hit the nail (rather pin) on the head when you said "slow down" Fast and speed is the grimlin in quiltmaking.
Also, have you noticed how the feed dogs grab the fabric at the end of the seam and veer to left making the seam at a critical point smaller. Or is it to the right....
I took a class from a very fine quilter who does small quilts. The thing I noticed watching her was how slow she goes and used something to help guide the seam. I tried it and it works. There are certainly some long seams that you can go faster but mostly just slow the dumb machine down and sew straighter.