Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How a sewing machine works >

How a sewing machine works

How a sewing machine works

Old 02-11-2012, 01:21 AM

Wow, that is so cool. For the mechanically challenged like me it really makes the concept simpler to understand.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:17 AM

I keep watching and watching...amazing. Makes me understand (a little bit) the "timing" issue (and possible skipped stitches).
Old 02-11-2012, 09:35 AM

This was great! I have sewed for 54 years and didn't know how my machine worked, I just knew that it worked!
Old 02-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Mesmerizing!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 AM

Does anyone know how a vibrating shuttle works? Just curious.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:48 PM

This is a great visual lesson for me and my grandkids that I am teaching to sew. Two of our granddaughters, separately, have spent a Sunday afternoon through Monday night with my husband and me. They want to learn to sew and make quilts so we made doll quilts for their 18" dolls. We picked fabric and cut out 48 squares 2 1/2". After practicing sewing on notebook paper without thread in the needle, following the lines, and then chain piecing some fabric scraps learning to maintain a 1/4" seam allowance, they started sewing the real squares together on Monday morning. It took all day Monday til around 2:00 to get all the blocks together into a quilt top. Then I took over and added 2" borders, backing and batting and finished it envelope style and tied it. They both were thrilled. When we took them church for Bible study Monday night, they were so excited to show off the quilt that they each made and everyone that saw them was impressed. I'm excited for the next GK-it will be a grandson next time and he wants to make a quilt for one of his stuffed toys. The girls are 10 and 8, the boy is 6. His will probably be done more by me than by him, but we are making memories and he will learn some sewing. Having lots of fun!!! Thanks for the video, I will show them all to help understand the process. It has been a mystery to me even after 40 years of sewing.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:40 AM

I've always wondered how all this worked. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 AM

Thank you, Cornerstone, for your message. Both my grandmothers quilted, and spent time teaching me, which began a life long love for fabric and quilting. I now teach any of my nieces who are interested, and anyone else for that matter! Your grandaughters are learning the value of working on and finishing something, and the time and love you're investing in them will reap great rewards. Bless you for your influence in their lives!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by pacquilter View Post
Thank you, Cornerstone, for your message. Both my grandmothers quilted, and spent time teaching me, which began a life long love for fabric and quilting. I now teach any of my nieces who are interested, and anyone else for that matter! Your grandaughters are learning the value of working on and finishing something, and the time and love you're investing in them will reap great rewards. Bless you for your influence in their lives!
Thank you, pacquilter, for that encouragement!