Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A manly sort of quilt that I made for myself >

A manly sort of quilt that I made for myself

A manly sort of quilt that I made for myself

Old 07-18-2009, 01:05 PM

Nice work. Definitely a man-quilt!

I have to say, guys, that I'm surprised you don't feel you can use lighter colors in your quilts. Not pinks, not flowery prints, but there's nothing unmanly about light blue, spring green, yellow, cream, tan. Or using any color as an accent color.

Actually, you're inspiring me to come upwith a bunch of designs for man-quilts that aren't all dark or solid. I'm a new quilter, so it'll be some time before I get to them, but ideas I got!
Old 07-18-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gary
you say that your stash is very different from your wife's I think there may be something to it.
I took a couple of quick pics to give you an idea. Part of my wife's stash is in the pic on top, mine is in the pic on bottom. Quite different!

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/E-G-L/Stash_2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/E-G-L/Stash_1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-18-2009, 01:14 PM

What a great comparison of stashes! And how lucky are we to have you guys here!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Nice work. Definitely a man-quilt!

I have to say, guys, that I'm surprised you don't feel you can use lighter colors in your quilts. Not pinks, not flowery prints, but there's nothing unmanly about light blue, spring green, yellow, cream, tan. Or using any color as an accent color.

Actually, you're inspiring me to come upwith a bunch of designs for man-quilts that aren't all dark or solid. I'm a new quilter, so it'll be some time before I get to them, but ideas I got!
You're right, Lisanne, I think there are a lot of things we can do with man-quilts that are beyond just plaids, stripes, and solids. I plan to explore a lot of them. :)
Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 PM

I can't wait to see more of your work, Eddie!
Old 07-18-2009, 02:05 PM

Eddie, I am woman, but I guess I like the manly fabric you have! I am just learning to like brights, but have always loved everyone's brighter quilts.

And I love your manly quilt. Do you order your fabric on line or get it at a LQS? Do you have a quilt in mind when you but your fabric?
Old 07-18-2009, 03:50 PM

I just showed JB your "manly sort of quilt" He really likes it...he said "No man would be ashamed of being under THAT quilt!!" LOL Which translates to he reeeeaallllly likes it, and a hint for me to get busy. Guess I may have to go shopping for some manly type fabrics of my own LOL. I'm not complaining a bit...any excuse to go fabric shopping will do in my book :twisted: :twisted:
Old 07-18-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by beachlady
Do you order your fabric on line or get it at a LQS? Do you have a quilt in mind when you but your fabric?
I bought all the jelly rolls, charms, and layer cakes I have on eBay (sorry if I sniped and outbid any of you here :oops: ) But I do have a LQS nearby that is really nice and I buy a lot of yardage from them, as well as some books, etc. All of the stuff I bought has been pretty much because I liked the fabrics and figured I'd think of something to do with them eventually. I think a lot of folks here probably fall into THAT category. :D
Old 07-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Pure artistry! I am not just speaking of your quilt (which is fabulous). Even your respective "stashes" are beautifully arranged and displayed. Look forward to seeing more quilts created by men....It truly adds a different dimension and makes us look at colour and design in an alternate way. Viva la difference!

Keep quilting guys!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 06:22 PM

I keep wondering if you wife here somewhere too?