Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Manufacturers need to wise up on what quilters want. >

Manufacturers need to wise up on what quilters want.

Manufacturers need to wise up on what quilters want.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
I know this is pretty much off topic, but I was in total shock a couple weeks ago when Baby Lock unveiled its new "Ovation" serger - a serger that apparently costs around $6,000 !!! I mean, come on already. A serger to me is a utility machine. I don't need a bigger throat and a multitude of stitches on my serger. I have a $200 serger that does everything I need it to do. Granted, mine doesn't have a cover stitch, but unless you're a designer, how much are you really using that type of stitch? I almost posted on their Facebook page that the only people who are going to rush out to buy this one are designers/people in business who can write it off on their taxes!
I agree. Way too $$$ for a utility machine. I just bought an evolution a few months ago -didn't pay anywhere near retail but still a lot. It's a dream to use but the ovation just doesn't have enough improvements to merit that heavy price tag. :-o
Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
BUT I can't drop the feeddogs. Drats.
You don't need to be able to! Just cover them with an index card that is taped down well.

(Honestly, on my modern machine, my darning foot floats high enough that half the time I forget to drop the feed dogs and don't even notice. Because the foot isn't putting much pressure on the fabric, my movements are stronger than the feed dogs movements. So you could even just try that.)
Old 09-18-2013, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
There is just so much unnecessary stuff on my machine- not only do I have a million decorative stitches; I have a function to mirror image them! Who uses this?

Me!! I use my mirror function alot - especially when doing applique and need my blanket stitch to go the other way. I also use the alphabet quite a bit. Just depends on what you want to make. I have the Janome 6600P and I love it!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Quilterfay View Post
There is a web site that shows how to stretch your sewing machine. There was a thread on Yahoo that talked about people sending their machines to have this done.
I just looked this up, and found
http://www.wowquilts.com which can stretch powerful straight-stitch machines up to 18" for $2,000.
They used to make their own but no longer do.

I couldn't find anything else about how to to it yourself.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:35 PM

Hear, hear! You said it.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Belfrybat,
The 201 is a great machine, but it doesn't like to do FMQ at all! I love my 1936 Singer 201 for piecing quilts and straight line walking foot quilting, has 8" of throat space. My machine can be either a hand crank or a treadle, much prefer to treadle it. The grand kids were piecing crumb blocks and they like to hand crank best of all, the hearts is a magnet that they use for their 1/4" seam guide.
Sharon
Sharon, I love the frame magnet idea and will have to try that. I thought the little magnets that are sold as seam guides would be great when I finally got an iron machine, but they slip with the slightest bump.

As for the machine, I think we're comparing apples and oranges. My 201-2, dating to 1940, has been motorized since it came out of the factory. I was not aware that it came in crank or treadle models. Mine has a solid hand wheel, so would not accommodate a crank. I don't even know if it could be converted to a treadle. There are people who do free motion with treadle machines, but I'm not I'm not all that coordinated! Treadling while doing fmq would remind me of the old trick of trying to pat your your head and rub your tummy at the same time. I can't even imagine doing it with a crank, unless I had someone do the cranking for me, because I need both hands to move the fabric.

In any case, the 201-2 does just fine for fmq. I found it a little tricky to get the tension just right, and it demands the same thread top and bottom, but once she and I came to an understanding about that she's giving me the same pretty stitches that she does sewing straight. I love this machine!

Okay, now I've done a bit of research, and here's a site that lists the 201-1 as a "natural born" treadle, and the 201-4 as the "natural born" hand crank. Interesting! http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/...ne-review.aspx That writer agrees with you that they are less than ideal for FMQ because of the horizontal bobbin, but to the extent that many new machines have horizontal bobbins, I'm not sure that would count as a reason to dismiss it.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:59 AM

I absolutely agree. I spent a terrifying amount of money (for me) on a Janome 7700 because it seemed to be the only way to get a machine that would reliably do FMQ (and I'd looked hard for alternative options, old and new). It's a wonderful machine and I don't regret buying it, but it does far more than I need. But as other people have said, the point is that the manufacturers want to part us from our money: if they can get me to spend 1400 pounds on facilities I don't need, why would they produce the simpler machine for half the price? Though I actually think that the latter might make them more money, because many more people might decide they could afford it.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:35 AM

May I suggest checking out this machine. Made in the USA. Meet the designer this summer and I think this will be the one I get. He uses parts that are available at retail stores like auto parts stores and home improvement stores. Very basic machine, no stitch regulator (but may be on the drawing table), but sturdy and VERY easy to use. I know very little about free motion quilting, but I was able to use the machine after 10 minutes of quick instructions. www.sunshine16.com is the web address.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I have just the machine the OP is talking about -- a Brother PQ1500S. It has a 10" throat, straight stitch, pin feed, needle up/down, and I love the push button thread cutter. Amazon has it listed for $668.00, but I got mine on E-Bay for only $250.00. I don't think the seller knew what he had. But anyway, if you really want a machine with few bells and whistles, I can certainly recommend this one or it's first cousin, the Juki 2010.

Or if you want to go old school, consider the Singer 201 -- lot's of space to work on that machine. http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/...ne-review.aspx
I agree Belfrybat! I have this machine and love it. I got mine on Craigs List for only $400.00!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:12 AM

I got my DD a basic new machine awhile back and discovered that I actually had more throat space on my featherweight! That bulky column on the newer machines is what takes up a lot of the space.