Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where Were You November 22, 1963? >

Where Were You November 22, 1963?

Where Were You November 22, 1963?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:43 AM

I had my youngest son on Nov 16th in an AF hospital in SC. Back then all the family rallied around to help care for the mother, her house and two kids at home; and she stayed in the hospital for 5 days because he was born weighing less than 5 lbs....My SIL came to the hospital to pick us up, and when we walked in the back door, everyone was standing in front of the TV in the living room, crying and crying and crying. We spend the rest of the day and that week watching the TV--I too, saw Oswald shot, saw the little boy salute his father's casket (so absolutely sad that I am crying as I write this), Jackie so stoic and classy the whole time, the little girl clinging to her mother's hand, that sad, sad funeral; and to this day cannot hear "taps" without that picture coming to my mind. I remember it all clearly and I am 77 years old.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:43 AM

I was in junior high. A teacher came to my teacher's door and spoke quietly to her and my teacher broke out in tears. Right after that they told us we should all go home. When I left the school, I noticed that there were all kinds of adults wandering around crying. I had no clue what had happened until I got home and my mother, a staunch Democrat and unabashed Kennedy lover, told us the sad story. It was surreal to see all these people crying in the streets. A scene that would not be seen again by me until 9/11.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM

I was in high school, We had a teacher who was kind of onrey all the time. I will never forget that when it came over the intercom he just sat at his desk and never said a word, but the tears just rolled down his cheeks. I will never forget watching the proceedings on tv, It was the longest 3 days I can ever remember.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:49 AM

I was a freshman in high school. I was in Spanish class when the PA system came on and the principal announced the shooting and put the radio on. Though I have worked on Capitol Hill as an adult, I was very apolitical at the time, but shocked nonetheless.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:59 AM

I was a junior and in Mr. White's biology class. He was a great big teddy bear who coached football. All the kids loved him. When the principal made the announcement he said a few words with tears in his eyes and then let us share our thoughts. He handled it so well and I remember feeling so safe. Mr. White stood at the door when we left his class and offered words of encouragement. It was a scary time. When I got home we spent days glued to the television. Can't believe it's been 50 years.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 AM

I was blessed to see John Kennedy and his wife Jackie in person the day before he was shot. I was living in Salt Lake City, UT at the time and our second grade teacher took us to see him pass by on his way to the airport heading to Dallas. The next day, we were in shock. Til this day, I still see him and Jackie waving to us as they slowly pass by.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 AM

I was getting ready to go to work. My husband and I had been married about 6 weeks before. Could not believe what was going on. I was an RN (retired now) and worked peds. Since not all the rooms had TV's parents of rhe patients and staff congreated on rooms that had TV. and we were glued to the screen. Fortuneatly it was a quiet time on the floor.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:22 AM

One of my very first memories is of when my grandmother took me to work with her in downtown Pittsburgh because President Kennedy was going to be in Pittsburgh that day. I was about 4 years old. We stood under the Kaufmann's clock and when his motorcade drove by he shook my grandmother's hand and gave me a kiss on the cheek! It might have even been when he was campaigning for President. My grandmother adored President Kennedy. I was in 1st grade at a catholic grade school and we all had to go to the church and pray. I remember it so clearly. When I got home my grandmother was at our house and the TV was on. Everyone was devastated. I was in my room when Oswald was shot and it seemed like the whole country was silenced. It was an event that changed this whole country, and sometimes I wonder if it was a good or bad change. Seems like after, there was no longer any "respect" for government or the people who run it. Maybe it's just me.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

I was a young married Mother with a 4 month old Son. I watched all the wall to wall coverage for days on end. About all that was on TV.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Its impressive how everyone remember that moment in details - itīll be the same about Sept.11 fifty years later.
It was round 10:00 in the morning here when the news was broadcast it was a bright sunny day, I was right out of a shower, wet hair in a white cotton dress- was going to buy groceries for my mother. It was all very sad also here.
I believe John-John brough tears to the eyes of everyone watching the funeral. (I was sooo sorry when his plane crashed)