Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Place in the Country for Quilting? >

Best Place in the Country for Quilting?

Best Place in the Country for Quilting?

Old 06-24-2014, 07:15 PM

Thinking about the state I live in, being Utah... I would have to say St. George, Utah. They have a huge quilt guild, with mini groups, lots of professional quilting personalities, and lots of quilt shops. The weather is mild (snow is rare), housing is reasonable, it's not a "big city" feel, but has the amenities you may be looking for.

Just a thought...
Old 06-24-2014, 07:25 PM

I thought about Hawaii .... but then discovered it was far too expensive for my retirement income.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
We like it here in SC Texas. We don't have a lot of cold weather and where we live we live far enough inland not to have to worry about storms but close enough to the beach for day trips. We have a lot of places here and close by for quilting and shopping and close enough to Houston to make the wonderful quilt show. We can make day trips to the Hill Country for quilt shows and fabric shopping and also Austin. But the summers are hot.
We're in South Texas right along the Gulf, we get a lot of snow birds here & the surrounding towns, so I know there are a lot of quilters around here. But we do get a lot of Hurricane warnings ect so I guess it's not the best place to have an RV for the summer months and if the heat don't get to you the humidity will. But we have an RV that we vacation in & thus a place to stay should we have to leave in case of hurricane and we can take all 4 dogs with us. Right now the oil field is booming so RV campgrounds are everywhere so no worries about finding a place to settle in until we can come home. DH will never leave out city so I'm stuck, but as long as I'm stuck with him...I am Happy!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
I love the winter here in Northern Michigan, even the cold and snow. The air is so clean and fresh. I would, though, like to spend October, November around Birmingham, Al where one of my sons lives. We were there twice during that time of the year and loved it. Hubby isn't going to retire til he's 70. I'm going to join the senior center. My husband asked why would i want to hang out with old people. I just retired and was one of the oldest nurses there and couldn't relate to the people they admired or the movies, tv shows they thought were great. Most sat around the lunch table looking at their smart phones. (I'm too cheap and have a dumb phone though I love my Ipad).
Our middle son recently moved to Birmingham & was married, we went for the wedding in November and it is beautiful up there. I wouldn't mind living there for the future grandbabies
Old 06-24-2014, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I would suggest that you start traveling to some areas that have a climate that you could enjoy. Honestly, I think there are good quilting groups and shops in most areas. We take our motorhome to the gulf coast of Texas in the winter and stay near the beach. The weather near the water can be a little rough in the winter, but we love it. There are quilt shops and quilt guilds within an hour away, some closer. We don't want to move permanently but enjoy our time away.
Sounds like you snowbird in my area of Texas..Corpus Christi & around us is Rockport, Aransas Pass, Aransas, portland, Gregory Portland, Padre Island and many more.
Jeri
Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
There are a lot of snow birders in South Texas, and the lot fees are less than a lot of places. Some places are more humid that others. Further South (like McAllen, etc., is a drier climate). Since you are "social" (as I am too), Bay City, TX has a great quilt guild along with various "bees" you can get in, plus retreats, etc. so you might want to look at that. It is a town of about 20k people. Houston is 80 miles one direction and Corpus Christi 130 miles the other way. Bay City is about 18-20 miles from the Gulf of Mexico where there's a great beach, fishing, etc. You can get wonderful seafood and Mexican Food in that area. Plus, no state taxes...
You said it all ladydukes perfectly. I'm In Corpus, hate the humidity & the wind but otherwise I love it even though I don't care for the beach much anymore...got to "old" for that sandy gritty feeling lol
Old 06-24-2014, 10:33 PM

I love the Pacific Northwest! I grew up in Wisconsin (loved the 4 seasons but HATED the long, cold and snowy winter); family moved to East Texas my senior year (loved the mild Winter but HATED the long, hot, humid summer). To me WA is just about perfect - mild all year long (rarely get extreme hot or cold). Love the rain (it's usually the kind were you don't get wet). Makes it fun to curl up and drink coffee, read a good book - and of course it's the perfect weather for quilting! Lots of great quilt shops in the area, too. This past weekend was Shop Hop and there were about 30 shops within 50 mile radius!

Last edited by icul8rg8r; 06-24-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
.... New Hampshire is a quilter's paradise, no doubt about it!
I have to agree 100%! Lots of LQSs, chain stores (JAF, Hobby Lobby, Walmart), guilds, shows, etc. Yes, we do get cold and snow (this year was particularly bad), but you will adapt easily to it. We push it out of the way, bundle up and off we go!

Now, northern Maine, on the other hand is not terribly quilting friendly (IMHO). The closest LQS to where I have my home is close to 2 hours away, the next one is closer to 3 hours away. Yes, guilds exist, but nothing near me (45 mins. away). There are, however, quite a few shops, guilds, shows in southern Maine, which makes sense as this is where most of the population is. (Someone suggested I open a LQS up north, but the one there was closed due to lack of business. The county where I live is a poor county, not too much "disposable" income.)

Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:10 AM

Fredericksburg, texas
Old 06-25-2014, 05:12 AM

I live in DFW area and you have quilt stores, bees and quilt guilds. We have at least 3-5 quilt shows all in driving distance with less than 30 min. from each one. Houston is about a 3-3 1/2 hour drive which is great with a friend or two. We have mild winters (occasional snow - 2-4 days a year) but really hot summers which are great days to spend in your sewing room! I recently retired and love it!

Susan