Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thrift store find! >

Thrift store find!

Thrift store find!

Old 07-04-2010, 02:00 PM

Halo, where are you buying feed sacks? I am celiac (Allergic to flour) but I sure would love to get hold of those sacks!.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:15 PM

To GAL. I knew when I read your post you were not from around here as we say. I was English and it tickled me to death to read "Knickers". Did they have elastic around the legs? These were known as "Apple Gatherers" when you went "Scrumping" ( Stealing Apples from some one elses trees)
Old 07-04-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by sheilajstewart
Way to go Girl. I have six feed sacks that have been washed and they do not have holes in them. I did not see them before washing as my little old neighbour gave them to me.Hope that helps.
Thanks for confirming that!
Old 07-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Wow, I will make a point to drop in more often in stores close to my house. Enjoy!
Old 07-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Gal

Hi Sheila, yes they did have elastic in the legs! Ha Ha Ha
I remember kicking up a fuss if, when my Mother was fitting the elastic, she pulled it too tightly and it left big red marks on our legs!!

Gal
PS I was born in England and came to live in NZ in the 50's.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:08 PM

"By the Piece": Everyone's flour, meal, sugar, etc. comes in paper now (more for the landfill). The days of the pretty cloth sacks are long go. My inlaws (farmer) died not long ago, and we are still trying to clear out the estate (take what we want; sell the rest). I've discovered a huge steamer trunk there full of feed, flour, whatever sacks that evidently Mom never got around to doing anything with.
There's so much to do there, that I quickly closed the trunk. I knew if I got into it then, I'd spend a whole day or more just going through sacks and looking and thinking about what I'll do/make with them. Eventually, I'll just bring the trunk home--as loaded.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:57 PM

I get my flour in fabric sacks from a store called Win-Co. It is about 80 miles from me, but I go a few times a year & stalk up on things. I usually get two 50lb bags & put one in the freezer to keep it fresh till needed. I chose to get different fabric patterns with each bag I get. It is a good quality fabric.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:51 PM

OMG!! What a deal you got!! It reminds me of my very first feedsack - my son brought home a bag of fabric that some people were tossing after their garage sale and most of it was junk, but, snuggled in amongst all the junk was an amazing feedsack with blue spotted deer. I have it still, never used it, and I adore it. That was about 12 years ago. I, too, went on line and did a search and that is how I met Jane Clark Stapel - she eventually made a trip out here to speak to my guild about feedsacks. It was an amazing experience meeting her and learning so much from her.

So fun when something like that happens!

Originally Posted by quilting librarian
I bought two bags of fabric today for $1.95 each. One had a piece of Holly Hobbie fabric that is at least 10 yards, (the blue fabric with the mushrooms), and two other pieces of dark blue fabric. The other bag had these old, coarse cotton fabrics. When I took them out of the bag I noticed ALL of them had holes all around the edges... I kept wondering about that, so Googled feedsacks. Turns out there are 10 full size feed sacks! The top four pieces in the picture are the right size and type of fabric for feed sacks but they don't have the holes around the edge. They have been washed, though, and I was wondering if the holes would disappear after washing?
Old 07-04-2010, 04:57 PM

I don't think the holes disappear. When I was growing up, we got flour in those, and the holes are where the heavy white thread was "sewn" to close the bag. when you pull on the right piece sticking out, it unravels and opens the sack. If I remember right, you can wash them and the holes will appear smaller but still be there. I also have some and haven't washed them. I guess I'm afraid they'll fall apart!
Old 07-04-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cathie_R
Originally Posted by Gal
Thanks Cathie, I thought it was flour or something like that, how lovely, I bet they are well prized nowadays! Very pretty prints!

Gal
I have a large collection of them. Can't decide if I want to use them in a quilt or keep them whole. They are probably worth more kept original.
This mentality of a quilter really tickles me. "They are probably worth more kept original." so what? The one who dies with the most feedsacks wins??? I say, make a quilt with them.

:lol: :lol:

My mom used to use the sacks to make little short and shirt play sets for my sister and I. I remember them being a little "scratchy" for a while.