Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bad news and good news >

bad news and good news

bad news and good news

Old 11-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain
The owner of our local quilt shop says that the price of our quilting cottons is soon to go up. Good news is that I am well supplied and can make it without having to purchase more. :) :) :)
Started out as a quilter and now consider myself a collector of fine fabrics. Anyone else like that?
"IS" going up? Ours already has to over $1.00 a yard more, sometimes $2. I just discovered Hobby Lobby and although the fabric is not the best, for my donations that is where I am going.

Used to be when times were tough, prices went down so people would buy. Just shows how greed has flourished.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

OH, YES!!!! collection here :thumbup:
Old 11-15-2010, 01:52 PM

Franie, Where do you live in Alaska? I was there 4 years ago on a quilt cruise and we stopped at several really nice quilt shops.
Eiltcoq.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by QKO
Originally Posted by Jo Mama
Originally Posted by Japonica
Originally Posted by QKO
Fabric prices at the wholesale level have just taken another jump, most have gone up at least .25/yd for new stuff being ordered now. That's an increase just in 2010 of .65 to 1.00 dollar/yd. And I fear it isn't going to stop for awhile... :-( :-(
Saw on the news yesterday that cotton prices went up 400% due to the rains in Pakistan. What??????????????
Gee - where's all the cotton going that is grown in California and Alabama??
Thanks for the info.

It pretty much all goes to China, where it is woven into greige goods, the base stocks for printing fabrics. Then it is marketed back out to the mills for printing and finishing. Some weaving is also done in other countries, but China pretty much has a monopoly on greige goods, and they're now raising prices after artificially holding them down for years. Crop failures are also contributing to the worldwide shortage of cotton greige goods.

We just went on a short buying trip yesterday, and all the fabrics are up at least .25/yd for next quarter at the wholesale level. We've been trying to absorb a lot of the price increases so far, but we're at the point where we're going to have to pass those increases along, or go out of business. It's as simple as that.

Someone else remarked that If you get a .25 increase at the wholesale level, you get a .50 increase at the retail level. In some shops that may be true, but so far most people I know have just been passing along their increases, or absorbing part of them, i.e. sharing the increases with their customers.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:45 PM

Try sources online such as The Cotton Loft, QuiltFabricCloseouts.com, and eQuilter, under the Clearance Sections. Another one is FabricBlowout.com . I found it a healthy and heart-healing activity to Give Away fabrics, such as Red, white and Blue for quilters sewing for QuiltsofValor. Saying goodbye to fabrics means it is okay to let go of things we love, that others may benefit faster than if I hold on tight.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
All this talk about "stash".....I am beginning to feel woefully inadequate. While I do have about 12 different pieces of 2-3-4 yards each, and many about a yard or less, as well as lots of FQ's, it definitely does not compare to what the rest of you have!!! One of my favorite things to do, as many of us have, is to just 'feel' and 'touch' fabric as we walk past and drool - trying not to get the fabric wet in the process!
I'm with you, just love the feel and looking at the fabric! Although buying it is a good thing, too. My stash is tiny, compared to the ones I see here. I just don't know how much to buy unless I have a pattern in mind. Oh,well. I still love looking!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:12 PM

I'm right there with ya, gal! As someone on the board said, it's not a stash, it's a Fabricology Research Center. I read today that cotton had gone up on the market again today - it's up over 50%! - so we should start feeling the pinch soon. Too much speculation going on on Wall Street.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Is there such a thing as a fabroligist ??
Of course!! There's at least one in every metropolitan city. :lol:
Old 11-15-2010, 04:54 PM

My DB came into my sewing room yesterday and said, "this is like walking into a store". Ha, ha, ha, LOL.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
Im the founding member of Fabricaholics Anonymous! My stash would last me a lifetime, but what fun is that????
Diane
I am a card carrying member too Diane :-D I'm never going to die, because I have enough fabric to last several lifetimes. ;-)
Sharon W.