Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
frustraited! >

frustraited!

frustraited!

Old 12-03-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by starlite
Help... I am getting further behind making gifts for christmas! 1st I got a bad cold 2nd I tore some tendons and ligaments in my foot 3rd my dh has to have surgry. I feel like a sinking ship! Any ideas for some quicker items to make? I have to sew for 9 count them 9 grands 4 girls & 5 boys all under 11 yrs. I am brain fogged! Any words of wisdom for the weary....Guess I needed to unload thanks for being here! Jan
Check out Fay's tutorial on ear warmers, may just be a life saver for you it seem quick and easy. Just a thought!!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 PM

If all your recipients live up there in the cold near you, you might want to make fleece hats and matching neckwarmers. 5/8 yard will make a matched set since the fleece is usually well over 45 inches wide.
I cut rectangles of fleece about 20 inches by 20 inches. Fold in half right sides together and stitch along the stretchier edge (fleece stretches more in one directions than the other) about a half inch seam allowance, stretching slightly as you sew. This is the edge that will have to stretch to slip over the head. The seam will probably come out crooked and ugly, but fleece is very forgiving, and it won't show once you turn it.
Turn the tube right side out. Match up the seams right sides together and pin the single edges together as far around as you can manage. It gets a little awkward here as you end up working inside the tube . Try to stitch as much of the edges together as you can. You won't be able to sew the complete edge. The remaining opening will have to be hand stitched from the outside.
You can manipulate this ring of fabric placing the stretchy seam anywhere inside the ring so that the design shows the way you want it on the hat or leave the stretchy seam on what will be the top edge. To complete the hat you will need to hand stitch the top edge shut. You can simply stitch straight across resulting in two points, or fold and pin it to make 4 or 6 points, or even gather the top and sew on a pom pom or fringe if you desire.
Kids have remarkably big heads for their body size compared to adults, so the 20 inch size will work for most of them. Some adults might need you to cut the fleece an inch or two longer than 20 inches so the hat is not tight and popping off the head. These hats are just long enough to pull well down over the ears or to fold a brim. The neck warmers can be anywhere from 8-10 inches wide and still pull up nicely to cover the chin and nose.
If anyone can't make heads or tails of these instructions I can try to put up some pictures of the process.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:31 PM

gift cards are a great idea. If they are very young, perhaps an inexpensive toy to go along with it.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by knittersue
hi I have the same problem I have 13 grand kids I am making them there own rice packs they love them .I buy fun fabric and make the sack put white rice in. sew it up and there you have it the kids or parent put them in the microwave for 2 minutes and now they can be nice and warm.mygrand kids love taking them to bed I love them for neck ach or leg cramps give it a try if you need measurements let me know have a good day
Huummm, made in the shape of a teddy or doll and you have a warm somebody to sleep with!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by Up North
How about little wallets with a couple dollars tucked in them. There are a lot of simple patterns if you do a google search. The little kids think they are in heaven to have a grown up wallet with money in it. I made my grandaughter a simple little purse no pattern and filled it with things from the dollar tree. Pretend cell phone, little makeup mirror, lip gloss.
Great ides for small girls, now what about the boys? :D
Backpack with little gifts for boys?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:55 PM

I was in the same situation.. I decided to stop stressing and found that link someone mentioned on page 1 "tube pillowcase"... I made them all pillow cases that matched thier future quilts (that I'll finish after christmas) I got them all done in one day and they turned out really sweet looking..
My god daughter(16 yrs) who lives next door seen them and came home today clutching a yard of fabric(sexy shirtless guys wearing santa hats rofl)begging me to make her a pillowcase..How can I resist, too funny
Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 PM

bless your heart i hope things soon improve,. gift cards are great , the children have the joy of opening a pressie then the excitment of choosing what they really want , double joy .
Old 12-04-2010, 12:46 AM

Have you and your hubby in my prayers. The dollar store for the little ones is adeal. Abd the IOU, is great also.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:04 AM

All of my grandparents are deceased now but I remember when I was younger spending time sewing or "helping" my grandmothers sew. I would give anything to be able to do that today. Give them a card with a coupon for one on one time with you sewing something they then can take home. It will be a present they will remember their whole life. I still have a teddy bear I helped make. I really spent time with my grandma while she made it but I love that bear with all my heart 35 years later.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by chance
Heres a link for some cute Elf Slippers which you can probably mass produce pretty quick. Hope you like.

http://mayamade.blogspot.com/2009/01...-tutorial.html
Thank you so much! I have some fleece blankets that I can use for these and the littler kids will love them! I appreciate all the kind words and ideas! I feel so much better and the quilts can come when I am better. I am going to put little bookmarks cut of the fabric for the quilt each child is going to receive so they will know they are going to be made. Again thank you all! Jan