Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • discouraged >
  • discouraged

• discouraged

Old 01-08-2011, 09:23 AM

Ironing is as important to me as sewing - well, maybe not quite - but it does help reduce bulk. Usually you would press the seams to the lighter fabric. If I do a lot of triangles, I usually press the seams open because there is more bulk on them.

Just go ahead and sew enough squares together to make a lap quilt and finish it. That's the best way to learn. You'll love it!
    Old 01-08-2011, 09:25 AM

Your public library is a great source of quilting books and magazines.
    Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 AM

Don't be discouraged! I too am mostly self-taught. I learned a lot from watching Fons and Porter on PBS. Check PBS online for local listings. I press my seams open and this works better for me. I was always taught to press my seams to one side (the darker side). But this was confusing for me. I learned that Bill Kerr and Weeks Ringle of FunQuilts press their seams open. So I started doing mine that way. As I said, it works for me!
    Old 01-08-2011, 10:01 AM

Welcome! You have come to the right place for help. I've enjoyed and learned so much from this board. You can do it! Go for it!!
    Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 AM

I haunt the library and also request the local library get any thing I want with an inter library loan...keep on, keeping on. You are not alone....I'm in the same place...and you are part of a great group here. Best wishes.
    Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 AM

Don't be discouraged, type in quilt tutorials and I'm sure there will be plenty to watch and learn. Besides this site I use tutorials free on computer. And be ready to rip out seams alot, it's all part of quilting. If your upset, stop for awhile to clear your mind and than go back. Believe it or not that helps. Good luck, am pulling for you
    Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 AM

Don't be discouraged, type in quilt tutorials and I'm sure there will be plenty to watch and learn. Besides this site I use tutorials free on computer. And be ready to rip out seams alot, it's all part of quilting. If your upset, stop for awhile to clear your mind and than go back. Believe it or not that helps. Good luck, am pulling for you
    Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 AM

Go online to different quilting sites. There is alot of good information for beginners on these. Stay with it you'll learn. We all had to learn.
    Old 01-08-2011, 10:41 AM

This is a great place to get answer's. but if you can't afford classed like me. Then watch a lot of quilting shows. Thats where I learned a lot from. Look on your t.v. guide for different shows.
    Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 AM

What is with all of this ironing seams this way and that? i read the board every day.[/quote]

Others have answered the question as to why you press different ways but I want to emphasize that it is NOT ironing. Ironing is moving the iron back and forth while keeping the iron on the fabric. That can cause the fabric to stretch and your seams will not match up. Pressing, on the other hand, is placing the iron down on the fabric for a few seconds then lifting the iron up and off the fabric and then moving the iron to another place on the seam. Some people like dry irons and others like steam. It is your own preference.

Sandy in SE Indiana (near Cincinnati, OH)