Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Great find at the grocery store! >

Great find at the grocery store!

Great find at the grocery store!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 AM

Since storing fabric in tightly sealed plastic bags is probably not good for the fabric, I have been looking for those bags that are used in produce departments to keep fruit and vegetables fresh. Does anyone know of a source--other than the ones advertised on late-night t.v.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:42 AM

I seen the 2 gallon ones at the dollar tree in our mall.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 PM

I've found some at the dollar tree. They don't always have them so scoop them up when you see them!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by puzzler
Since storing fabric in tightly sealed plastic bags is probably not good for the fabric, I have been looking for those bags that are used in produce departments to keep fruit and vegetables fresh. Does anyone know of a source--other than the ones advertised on late-night t.v.
You can use these bags just take your hole punch & make a few in the bags for air. I think those produce bags are expensive.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cathleen Colson
Our charity quilt group also makes flannel blankets for newborns at the local hospital. We use the 2 gallon size bags from the dollar store to package them, along with a matching knit cap that another group makes, and sometimes a onesie or sleep and play pj. Makes a nice gift for some of the poorer parents in the community. The nurses decide who needs them. We also make quilts for the top of the isolettes in the NICU and the folded small quilts also fit in the 2 gallon bag.
What size do you make the NICU quilts?
Thanks
Old 02-05-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by puzzler
Yes, Hefty makes a 1.25 gal. bag called "Fresh Extend", but they do not appear to have any tiny holes in them. Not sure how they would be "breathable", but they are supposed to be for storing veggies, etc.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:49 PM

I found the 2 gallon size at Food Lion.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:09 PM

We've given the NICU quilts that are 30"x40" or up to 36"x48" and they have appreciated them all! There are some patterns for fancier ones that have flaps and ties. Those are meant to stay with the isolette. The nurses have been giving the covers we send to the parents when the baby goes home, so we make them just rectangular. Some are scrappy string quilts, some are "warm wishes" scaled down, different 9 patch variations. The smaller size is a good one for wheelchair lap quilts, too, done in "adult" fabrics.