Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you know about burns? >

What do you know about burns?

What do you know about burns?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:23 AM

When
Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I took a bowl out of the microwave tonight - and it was EXTREMELY hot - had it in my hand for less than 2 seconds, but it was enough. The pain felt deep on a couple of fingers, but the skin wasn't even red/white or anything other than normal looking. I've had it on an ice pack since (well over an hour) and it still really burns when I take it off the ice pack. I'm finally seeing some white patches which I'm assuming are blisters. This is just on a couple of fingers - not a huge area. (Oh, I really feel for people that have major burns!!!!) Other than keeping it cold for a while more, and clean (it isn't like the skin is open) - is there anything else to do? I've put aloe on it, and now lavender. Still really hurts! And of course it's on my right hand (I'm right handed)
When I lived in St. Croix the visitors from Denmark and other northern European countries used to barbeque themselves in the sun. We who lived there used to slather them with yogurt, which was an amazing and quick cure for painful burns. (Even ones with blisters!)
For your hand slather and bandage lightly. (It can dry to powder overnight) - Keep slathering ! The pain will go away remarkably fast...
probably something about the milk protein bonding with your skin...?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 PM

Here is a pattern for mini mitts. PM me if you have any problems.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-153211.jpe   attachment-153212.jpe  
Old 06-05-2011, 09:02 AM

ICE, ICE, ICE AND MORE ICE. Keep it soaking in ice - not minutes but hours. The ice is the painkiller. Nothing oily, oil will cause blistering. Remember when grandmother used to rub butter on burns - almost immediately the blistering would begin, that was just cooking the skin.
RN
Old 06-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

The next time you are at your DRs. Ask for a prescription for Silvadene cream. It's a burn cream for minor burns. it stops the pain fast. It's the best ever for sunburns. It comes in a big jar and will last for years in the fridge.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:04 AM

A friend sent me an email the other day & it said that flour would kill the pain & even keep it from blistering. It is even better if the flour is keep in the frig. Haven't tried it yet but stands to reason that the flour would soak up the grease.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:29 AM

Ice or water is the worse thing to put on a burn. Soak your fingers in milk. Hope you feel better.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Use tap water and not ice, according to my doctor and several sources I have read.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
When I worked in kitchens, we would put toothpaste on our burns - after running it under cold water.
It took out the sting, and didn't blister. No oil of any kind in the toothpaste, and the peppermint one worked best of all.
No oil of any kind on any burn! Ouch!
Ditto on the oil, also any petroleum jelly ingredients. They seal in the heat and the area continues. Cold water and advil/aspirin is what my nurse mother taught me.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:06 AM

I have learned somthing new just reading this thread. Im a welder (out of work) i have some new ways to cool down a burn. thanks...sorry about the burn i've aiways used silverdine its for burn..
Old 06-05-2011, 06:09 PM

No Ice??? Seems I've out-voted, OOPS!, my bad