Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wow - fabric shrinkage. >

Wow - fabric shrinkage.

Wow - fabric shrinkage.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:36 PM

Thank you so much cabinfever for the information. Someday I will have to replace our maytag (agitator style) and don't know what to do about that ...but until it dies...won't worry about a new one.
Suern3 your instructor is right..if you only was a few fabrics your quilt will be all wrinkled puckered and wonkie. NOBODY wants wonkie... :)
Old 04-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Prism99
For yardage, I mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this solution onto the fabric using a large wall painting brush (until fabric is saturated), then toss in the dryer and iron with steam. Some people remove from the dryer while still slightly damp, but I've had no problems with it being completely dry (my iron is a Rowenta that puts out plenty of steam). This is by far the easiest method I have found for starching yardage.

With a 1:1 solution, the fabric comes out with the stiffness of lightweight cardstock. Believe me, fabric does not stretch or distort with handling when it is this stiff! You can use a light starch solution if you like, but I have found this one is the best for backing fabrics and bias-cut binding strips. Works fine for piecing also. If you use this on flannel before it is cut for piecing, your piecing will be as accurate as non-flannel fabrics.

how does this effect the rotary blades..do they dull faster?
and your iron...does it build up on the sole plate?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SewSewGal
I am just starting to quilt and I have always wahed my fabric unless it is fat 1/4, Jelly rolls, Charmes etc. I have only had my quilts professionaly quilted so i have never had to pre shrink the batting. How would you do this for a King size quilt.
You can wash those jelly rolls, charms etc...

just hand wash gently in the sink, and then use a towel to roll them in and wring them out...then toss into a salad spinner and spin til damp..then press...

yes, they might shrink, but as long as you sew them all with the same seam allowance, and ALL of the fabrics are washed/shrunk, you should be ok!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM

i always wash material first thing when i get home ive had some shrink 2 inches
Old 04-10-2011, 04:09 PM

I have done the pre wash test on the fabrics I usually buy from my LQS. So far none of their fabrics have shrunk (except for one of their wide backs which they forewarned me about) while fabrics from other places which are also a little cheaper have shrunk considerably.
From my point of view it seems to depend on the quality of the fabric as to whether I do or don't.

I do pre wash and so on for swaps according to the rules but for myself not always

Maybe1day
Old 04-10-2011, 06:29 PM

Does anyone here have an opinion on prewashing broadcloth when being used to back a quilt? I see it is 65% poly and only 35% cotton. I'm kind of leaning toward not prewashing it. What do you all think?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by beksclen
Does anyone here have an opinion on prewashing broadcloth when being used to back a quilt? I see it is 65% poly and only 35% cotton. I'm kind of leaning toward not prewashing it. What do you all think?
chemicals are on ALL fabric..wash it...
Old 04-10-2011, 07:03 PM

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:38 PM

Amoung the usual reasons to prewash, I also do it to preserve the fabric. I have been known to keep fabrics a long time and removing the sizing will keep it nicer, longer. I have had older, unused fabrics discolor and have seen insect damage where they have feasted on the starchy sizing. Have never had any trouble after I started washing the fabrics. So, the stash gets washed before it gets shelved. When I use it I press and starch as needed.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by katykwilt
prewash...to preserve the fabric. I have had older, unused fabrics discolor and have seen insect damage where they have feasted on the starchy sizing. When I use it I press and starch as needed.
Good points!! So now do I need to unearth years of stash & do a marathon washing session? Haven't ever seen any bugs in mine but who knows; mine are all in bins sorted by color or style (floral, novelty). My sewing room is in an outbuilding (insulated) with no food, etc., but I guess that may not help.