William and Cate

Old 04-30-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by sall
I went to a local hotel, here in Uk where they were putting on a special event. Got there about 9.45 Local time and watched every minute of it, lunch was served at 1.pm, but we were still able to watch the replays. We had a wonderful time, singing along with the hymns, and cheering and clapping along with the crowds ( not that they could hear us)We all stood for the National Anthem and waved our Union Jacks. An amazing atmosphere, great food and free champagne to toast the lovely couple. My friends and I left about 3pm, and I went home and watched it all again until I went to bed. I even missed seeing my usual soaps, but I can always catch up on them
What a great way to participate in the celebration! It was a beautiful wedding...I loved Cate's wedding gown...simple but stunning! Congratulations to you and your country!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:23 AM

it was a beautiful Wedding
Old 04-30-2011, 10:58 AM

She was a beautiful bride......her dress was beautiful and I do believe that her veil and tiara were simply stunning......not overpowering her, just a compliment to her. So beutiful, Prince William couldn't take his eyes off her.

It was a wonderful day and happiness to the young couple.

Don't you just love Harry ?????????
Old 04-30-2011, 11:24 AM

I thought the whole affair was just stunnung. Of couse with a beautiful bride dressed to perfection, and also with her ever so pretty smile, who could look at much of anything else. She is one beautiful gal who is truly fit for a prince. I just can't say anything negative about the whole thing.....must say that some of the women had to be very courageous with wearing some of those hats!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
They did not carry swords only the scabards.(sword casing) The ladies in nun like garb are deaconesses in the Church of England,William and Harry have the last name WALES. When William,Catherine and the family left the alter they went into the vestry to sign the marriage register to legalise the marriage!!! It is signed by them and usually 2 witnesses. Hope this answers your questions!!!
I have just taken this from a reliable source his name is:

William Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor
Spouse Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
Full name
William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor [N 1]
House House of Windsor
House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Father Charles, Prince of Wales
Mother Diana, Princess of Wales
Born 21 June 1982 (age 28)
St Mary's Hospital, London
Religion Anglican (Church of England)
Prince William, Duke of Cambridge KG FRS (William Arthur Philip Louis; born 21 June 1982) is the elder son of Charles, Prince of Wales, and Diana, Princess of Wales, and third eldest grandchild of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.[2] He is second in the line of succession, behind his father, to the thrones of sixteen independent sovereign states known as the Commonwealth realms: the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis. Consequently, he is also second in line, again behind his father, to the position of Supreme Governor of the Church of England.
He was educated at four schools in the United Kingdom and obtained a degree from the University of St Andrews. He spent parts of a gap year in Chile, Belize, and countries in Africa. He was commissioned as a lieutenant in the Blues and Royals regiment of the Household Cavalry—serving with his brother Prince Harry—and, two years later, earned his wings by completing pilot training at Royal Air Force College Cranwell. In 2009, the Prince transferred to the Royal Air Force, was promoted to flight lieutenant and underwent helicopter flying training in order to become a full time pilot with the Search and Rescue Force. In Autumn 2010, he completed his general and special-to-type helicopter training and he is now at RAF Valley on No. 22 Squadron performing co-pilot duties on the Sea King search and rescue helicopter. Prince William married his long-term girlfriend Catherine (Kate) Middleton on 29 April 2011 at Westminster Abbey.[3] Hours prior to his wedding, Prince William was created Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus.[4][5]

He does however use the name WALES because his father is the Prince of Wales.

Hope that answers some questions.

Elle
Old 04-30-2011, 12:02 PM

Her dress was simple yet elegant. Her bouquet was small but I thought it was nice, and even had the same little flowers in it that Diana had on hers on her wedding day. They paid her a lot of tribute yesterday. I wish them all the best!
Old 04-30-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Did you watch the wedding?? Beautiful - simply beautiful. The KISS was a little disappointing, but....I'm sure they will make up for that! Diana would be so proud and the new couple is shining!
Yes I thought it went perfectly. No slip ups that I could see.
They did a second longer kiss a few minutes later, and I saw William say "another one?" after that but the camera turned, so I don't know if they did a 3rd one or not.

I was surprised to see Prince Phillip smiling at Camilla and even kissed her on the cheek just before they walked to their chairs for the wedding. All I ever read is how much she's hated by them all. Must not be true. Maybe they're just on their best behavior for the cameras.
Another thing that surprised me is they wore their swords into the church. I know the swords are only ceremonial but I didn't think any "weapon" was allowed in a christian church.
the news channel I was watching said they did not have their swords on just the covers, i think they are called sheaths.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:44 PM

If I remember right men stopped wearing hats when JFK didn't wear them. I think women stopped wearing them when we quit using so much hairspray, and went with the natural look. LOL. I thought the whole "doings" was beautiful, and everyone behaved theirselves. No, mob scenes. Just great.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
And the crowds were very contained - in the US we would probably have a little less decorum(?)
Less decorum?...Stampede is the word I would choose, but I thought the same thing. The people were just strolling along like they were taking a walk. Loved the whole thing. Even got up at 4:00 am to see it in person! I'm a mess today! :(
Old 04-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee
If I remember right men stopped wearing hats when JFK didn't wear them. I think women stopped wearing them when we quit using so much hairspray, and went with the natural look. LOL. I thought the whole "doings" was beautiful, and everyone behaved theirselves. No, mob scenes. Just great.
I think you're right about men wearing hats ending with JFK, although I do remember him wearing a top hat to his inauguration. Men today seem pretty stuck on baseball caps. I've always worn hats, but they do mess up the hair. I miss the days when women wore hats to church and anytime they dressed up. Cocktail hats were not removed when you reached your destination, so hair was styled around the hat, as the Brits showed yesterday. Maybe now hats will come back in fashion and a whole new industry will come back to life.