Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with outdated fabric? >

What do you do with outdated fabric?

What do you do with outdated fabric?

Old 05-29-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
Didn't know any fabric got outdated. Of course the poly knits went but the cottons and blends are always useful for something.
I l ike to use the double knits for backing on table runners. It gives the quilted piece some body yet isn't bulky.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:13 AM

I have never heard of fabric having an expiration date. It's not food, you know. Maybe it's outdated because you have no use of it anymore. You can't think of anything you want to use it for. Take the advice of most of the replied post... Give it away, sell it, or trade it. There are enough members here who would love to have it. I know I would and I would take it site unseen as would a lot of us here on the board.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:27 AM

I found myself making children's bibs. I designed my own pattern and have been donating all monies to Autisim Speaks.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-203797.jpe  
Old 05-29-2011, 10:31 AM

Just found this on FaveCrafts. Give it a try...
How to brighten old fabric colors:
Mix one gallon of water with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and a quart of buttermilk. Let quilt soak in mixture. After soaking thoroughly, wash quilt in a mild detergent and air dry. Fabrics will come out bright and rejuvenated. They say buttermilk does wonders for the skin. Couldn't hurt for fabrics either.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Barb44
What's outdated fabric? There is pretty fabric and ugly fabric, but outdated? No. I see fabric for sale here all the time that I bought 20 years ago for 2.99 selling for 6.00. I don't consider any fabric outdated. But that's me. I like old things better than new.

If you don't want it, send it to me, it will fit right in with the rest. LOL

I agree totally---put the old fabric with a "new" fabric and it's a new combination! Yes, but please send it to me if you don't want it, I promise to give it a good home. (because like your fabric, I am kind of old and outdated)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 05-29-2011, 11:40 AM

I developed a fairly nice stash buying fabrics at an ovarian cancer research fundraiser that was supported by local guilds & many quilters who donated 'older' fabrics. These provide backing for quilts, are nice in crazy quilts, strip quilts, art quilts, etc. I only began quilting 6 years ago, so I think everything is 'new' if I haven't seen (or appreciated) it before!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:29 PM

Whaddya mean out dated? If you still like it - use it. Otherwise, consider selling it at a local guild show (they usually have a recycle room) or donate it to a local guild (most make some type of charity items). Or...just advertise on the board-there are lots of us who would buy it!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by grannypat7925
Didn't know any fabric got outdated. Of course the poly knits went but the cottons and blends are always useful for something.
I l ike to use the double knits for backing on table runners. It gives the quilted piece some body yet isn't bulky.
Great idea--had not thought of doing that! And I have a LOT of poly knits I use for charity quilts....
Old 05-29-2011, 12:47 PM

What is babycakes??
Old 05-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Barb44
What's outdated fabric? There is pretty fabric and ugly fabric, but outdated? No. I see fabric for sale here all the time that I bought 20 years ago for 2.99 selling for 6.00. I don't consider any fabric outdated. But that's me. I like old things better than new.

If you don't want it, send it to me, it will fit right in with the rest. LOL
Ditto! This is like the ads that say "It's spring! You need new furniture."

I've got fabric that is at least 30 years old and I worry that it might be rotten--although it isn't--but I know I am going to use it in some project.

However, my advice would be not to buy very much of what you like at the present moment because your taste might change again. That's the problem with having a stash!
froggyintexas