Oh No Shingles

Old 09-03-2011, 09:26 PM

My friend's father got shingles and even with medicine he suffered from it for the rest of his life (a couple of years). That's why I got the shingles vaccine. Everyone should get one as I saw how much he suffered.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:33 PM

Hi, My Mom had shingles in 2 quadrants on her face which is unusual. It was very painful even with the antibiotics and pain meds the doctor gave her.

This may sound strange but we found that when we rubbed Preparation H on it eased the pain. You just have to be really careful if it's on your face not to get it near your eyes, but it does work.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:36 PM

When my DH had shingles, the family doctor prescribed Lidocane Patches. They made the pain worse and he couldn't stand the feel of them. I do use them for arthritis pain and they help me a lot. So they might work for your neighbor's husband. My DH had to resort to narcotic type pain medication because he had just had his left kidney removed because of renal cell carcinoma. The medication helped but he had to take it for a couple of months and had a hard time getting off of it. If your neighbor takes it short term it might not be a problem. I will send prayers his way. :)
Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by sew1096
Hi, My Mom had shingles in 2 quadrants on her face which is unusual. It was very painful even with the antibiotics and pain meds the doctor gave her.

This may sound strange but we found that when we rubbed Preparation H on it eased the pain. You just have to be really careful if it's on your face not to get it near your eyes, but it does work.
When my Mom had it on her face it ran from her hairline through her eye and down onto her nose. For her the itching was the worst. I gave her some Eucerin Cream and it helped her a lot. :)
Old 09-04-2011, 07:39 AM

I had shingles two years ago and after seeing my doctor and getting meds, I googled the subject. Some things that will help: Sublingual Vit B12 (the kind that melts under the tongue), L-lysin, Multi Vit B. These are good for the nerves. Shingles is a virus that affects the nerves.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:11 AM

[quote=madamekelly]
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
DD had shingles that broke out above her temple. She gets an outbreak when she gets too stressed. She gets a nerve blocker shot for that area. It's the only thing that works for her. I'm surprised the Dr. didn't suggest the shot for him if he can take it.
Nerve blocker shot???? As in, no pain from my facial nerve, that has shingles in it???? Where do I find info. I am not yet 60, so I can't get the vaccine. I have lived with the pain in my face since my first outbreak of shingles 14 years ago! It never fades. Please tell me more?[/quote

This past Spring the FDA approved the Shingles vaccine for people aged 50 and over, so no need to wait until you are 60. My husband (age 54) received his at the local pharmacy.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:31 PM

[quote=Grambi]
Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
DD had shingles that broke out above her temple. She gets an outbreak when she gets too stressed. She gets a nerve blocker shot for that area. It's the only thing that works for her. I'm surprised the Dr. didn't suggest the shot for him if he can take it.
Nerve blocker shot???? As in, no pain from my facial nerve, that has shingles in it???? Where do I find info. I am not yet 60, so I can't get the vaccine. I have lived with the pain in my face since my first outbreak of shingles 14 years ago! It never fades. Please tell me more?[/quote

This past Spring the FDA approved the Shingles vaccine for people aged 50 and over, so no need to wait until you are 60. My husband (age 54) received his at the local pharmacy.
Thank you. I am calling the pharmacy right now!
Old 09-04-2011, 02:55 PM

After a almost 2 week stay in the infects deases floor of hospital and other trys, I decided to daily clean shingle area with rubbing alcohol. To my surprise after three years of pain, the rubbing alcohol cleared the situation. Who would have thought. I know it is very painful. You are in my prayers.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:52 PM

I know you can take meds for it and it works. Years ago my husband had a tiny outbreak and started the medicine and it was fine in about 3 days.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:31 PM

I took all meds for shingles and nothing helped