Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • So excited!!!!  Just had to tell someone. >
  • So excited!!!! Just had to tell someone.

• So excited!!!! Just had to tell someone.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:35 PM

Way to go!! Hope you love it and practice a lot once you get the machine attached.
    Old 09-10-2011, 06:45 PM

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 09-10-2011, 07:59 PM

Well, talk about hitting the jackpot! Enjoy and remember to post pics.
    Old 09-10-2011, 08:08 PM

:thumbup: :thumbup: Soooo happy for you!!
    Old 09-10-2011, 08:11 PM

I have a few hints for you...these come from experience mostly:

1. Tension dial...the tension dial may or may not have numbers on it. If it has numbers...they are NOT settings...they are for referrence only. Adjusting tension is one of the things new to longarm quilter's have the most frustration with.

2. Needles...make sure to get the correct size & to insert them correctly.

3. Don't forget to put the hopping foot down, and bring up the bobbin thread before you start to stitch.

4. Tension, I know, I already mentioned tension...but if you have trouble with tension...and you will...do post to for help. There are several ways to set tension...and the fabric, batting, how the quilt is loaded, thread, etc., all can have an effect on tension. It's easy once you get it familiar with it, and lose the fear of turning the dial, and adjusting the screw on the bobbin.
    I have the TL18LS...and before that, I had a Nustyle 227 (big old machine). We now have a great group on Yahoo called TinLizzieLongarm. We share a lot there...and much is of use to most any longarm machine.
    Private Message me if you need help, and I'll email you off group & try to help.

Originally Posted by Debbie B
    Today I bought a Juki TL 98 Q and a Gracie II frame. I got it off Craigslist. It's 3 years old and she said that she barely used it, because she developed heart & health problems. It came with a speed control, cloth leaders, a lamp that clamps on, some feet and a bunch of bobbins, plus Quilt Cad, perfect pattern templates & a little extension table when the machine is off the frame. My husband got it all set up & then left for a football game. Still have to get the sewing machine hooked up. I have a small sewing room (my son's old bedroom 10'6" X 12') & it really takes up the space. As soon as I get the room half way put back together I'll post some pictures. Anyone on the quilting board that has this set up or something close to it...any suggestions that will help me learn what to do will greatly be appreciated. I'm going to be reading the manual all evening. Whoo-hoo!!!
    Old 09-10-2011, 08:12 PM
    Google Goddess

Congratulations!
    Old 09-10-2011, 08:18 PM

The side leaders by Sharon Schamber are what hold the dowel.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SharonSchamberNet

scroll down, and on the right you will see "Ricebags, leders...", etc...there are 3 videos. Sharon shows how to make the side leaders in one of them.

I don't use the rice bags very often, but the side leaders, I use all the time. I don't have the foam she uses either, but I do use excess batting scraps as needed.

Also, do check youtube for loading a quilt, doing maintainence, etc. Lots of help there.

[quote=Debbie B
    I have finally gotten everything set up and now I need to buy an extention cord. I'm hoping to start practicing tomorrow or Monday. I would love to see a picture of your set up and the pocket that you have made. I just can't seem to picture it.[/quote]
    Old 09-10-2011, 08:25 PM

Hope you are enjoying the machine! Or are you still reading the manual?
    Old 09-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
    Today I bought a Juki TL 98 Q and a Gracie II frame. I got it off Craigslist. It's 3 years old and she said that she barely used it, because she developed heart & health problems. It came with a speed control, cloth leaders, a lamp that clamps on, some feet and a bunch of bobbins, plus Quilt Cad, perfect pattern templates & a little extension table when the machine is off the frame. My husband got it all set up & then left for a football game. Still have to get the sewing machine hooked up. I have a small sewing room (my son's old bedroom 10'6" X 12') & it really takes up the space. As soon as I get the room half way put back together I'll post some pictures. Anyone on the quilting board that has this set up or something close to it...any suggestions that will help me learn what to do will greatly be appreciated. I'm going to be reading the manual all evening. Whoo-hoo!!!
    Oh! I'm so envious. I'd love to have a quilting machine. Space is a major issue with me, too. Anxious to see your pictures.
    Old 09-11-2011, 01:07 PM

I just posted pictures in the picture section of the board. I guess I should have posted them here. I started sewing with it today & it sews like a dream, but I really need practice to control my stitches. You can see how much space it takes up in the room. I put some furniture sliders under the feet of the frame, so I can push it up against the wall when not in use. This is going to be fun! Thanks for all the advise & well wishes.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-255000.jpe   attachment-255001.jpe   attachment-255002.jpe