Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quarter Inch Seam >

Quarter Inch Seam

Quarter Inch Seam

Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=athomenow;4617624]Well I have the 1/4 inch foot with the quide and still sometimes I find things aren't fitting together. I think if I agonize over it, the fun of doing the quilt in the first place is gone. Who but you will really know when things are a little off? Most people have no idea that it's not just perfect and wouldn't care if they knew. The warmth and love you put into it is the important part. Relax and have fun! This isn't suppose to drive you crazy.

There is an old saying to look at your quilt for mistakes while riding on a horse galloping along at break neck speed. If you still see the mistakes then you might want to change something. Otherwise, no one but you will notice. My DD will grab my block or top and run to other side of the room and ask me if I can see it then. Most times what doesn't match up that far away is a big difference. But if it is within a hair, go with it and Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:56 AM

Thumbs down the story of my life....no matter how hard i try my blocks r never the correct demens

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
I haven't made a whole lot of quilts, but I've made enough that I think I should have the whole quarter inch thing down, but apparently I don't. I have about 95% of the blocks done for a quilt and now realize that they aren't going to fit together just right. The prospect of so much ripping and resewing makes me sick. Why, oh why, can't my projects ever just fall into place? I feel like I try so hard to be accurate in my cutting and piecing and still I'm just not!! I so wanted to have these blocks done and then assemble them by hand piecing during our move. I have a month in between houses and now no hand work to tide me over...which will drive me crazy. I'm restless and dissatisfied if I don't have a hand project. I'm just so discouraged. On top of that, I just poured the last cup of coffee from the pot only to find it full of grounds. Poor, poor, pitiful me! Thanks for listening/reading my self-indulgent rant. Think I'll remember that I and my entire family are in good health, my hubby has a job and I don't even have to pack for this move, then kick myself in the butt and work on something else for awhile.
I know exactly how u feel.....i dont get it.....so aggravating
Old 11-03-2011, 11:10 AM

I have done all of the above and STILL been off. I think my problem is not paying attention to the natural stretch of the fabric. It does make a difference.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
Don't shoot me, but if you feel that you have to rip out all the seams-isn't that handwork? LOl I know, I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. And I haven 't read all the posts so if someone else already said it, please forgive me. But if you piece the whole thing with the same seam allowance, won't it still come together correctly? If there are points-maybe not. But unless someone is perfect, we have all been there.
Searching frantically for my gun! Actually, I had that thought just a little earlier today!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Dear Wishful Thinking, I have the same problem, often! I try very hard to measure and cut accurately. I have a 1/4" foot too. But then when I sew my blocks together and start adding sashing, they never match perfectly, which drives me crazy. I always have to go back, unsew and resew to get them to line up correctly. When I've asked others why this is happening, they tell me when they cut and sew, it just all falls together right, if you've cut and sewn accurately. I am actually glad to read your post because it makes me feel more normal.
Sometimes I get so discouraged, I just put it all in a box and put it away until I can handle working on it again.
You are not alone and we who struggle also feel your pain!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful, helpful replies. That's why I posted. I know I can always count on help and comfort from the wonderful quilters on this board! A day has passed and I feel better. I'll have to do some ripping and resewing, but I'll eventually get it right. The pattern I'm doing is Spaghetti Junction by Heather Mulder Peterson and I'd post a link but I don't know how to do that. Anyway, I have to match up some narrow strips from block to block so just squaring up won't work. The problem is my lack of a consistent seam allowance. Somewhere along the way I started sewing a scant (very) quarter inch as opposed to just a quarter inch. I could kick myself. Why would I do that?! If I'd just stayed consistent I'd have been fine. Another lesson learned. In the future, I hope I'll remember to measure my units and stay consistent. I need advice now on a substitute hand work project, but will make another post for that. Thanks again!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:05 PM

Also that 1/4 " foot is essential and than be sure to square up your squares as you make them
so they will all be the same size. Things will get better and I bet all of us would help you if we were
in the same place. Tomorrow will be a better day. We live and learn from each other.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:28 PM

I have a 1/4 inch foot and still found it difficult to get an accurate seam. I tried putting about 5 layers of masking tape together, measuring 1/4 inch from the needle and put the masking tape down. That has worked the best for me because it gives me a real barrier to keep fabric in place.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Thumbs up Scant quarter inch

Originally Posted by carslo View Post
I bought a 1/4 inch foot for all of my machines - that has helped so much! They weren't expensive and I have found that my quilts come together so much easier. *** Also if you quilt block has many seams use a scant 1/4 inch a few threads smaller seam. When there is a lot of seams the fabric pulls tighter together and you nees to be stingy with your seams. I hope tha makes sense.
Happy sewing adventures!
I do the same- use scant 1/4" and it works out so much better on my Janome.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:45 PM

For my Singer 385J my 1/4 foot was $16, my other one was $24. I don't think this is cheap, what did you pay for yours, and where did you find it?