Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help! How do you handle someone at classes and meetings >
  • Help! How do you handle someone at classes and meetings

• Help! How do you handle someone at classes and meetings

Old 03-15-2015, 03:44 AM

If she ask for help and the instructor can't help her at that time. Tell her you are trying to catch up too and when you get a chance you'll help her or she can wait for teacher. That's what I do even at work when Im in the middle of doing something and we have a co-worker who does the same thing and it causes you to lose your train of thought. I understand how you feel. But maybe if she knows you don't want to fall behind she'll understand. Good luck.
    Old 03-15-2015, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by tkhooper
    You make me afraid to say anything at the new group I have joined. I'm the least experienced and now I'm wondering if I should even try to join a group.
    Don't be afraid to talk. We all chat and ask questions.

The person in our guild will see someone cutting and will go up to them with her fabric and want them to cut hers too. She will say her machine isn't working properly and she needs you to stitch it for her. She has a lot to say about lots of subject and if you don't agree with her she gets loud.
    Old 03-15-2015, 04:10 AM

I have added earplugs to my "to go" tools for guild and UFO's.
    Old 03-16-2015, 07:54 AM

You make me afraid to say anything at the new group I have joined. I'm the least experienced and now I'm wondering if I should even try to join a group.
    Don't be afraid to say anything. Just take the posts here as advice of what NOT to do to make the experience unpleasant for the other members. I think it may be different for someone in a guild or a group gathering on their own time rather than someone paying for a class with a limited amount of time.
    Old 03-16-2015, 08:47 AM

Well my first Beginner's Machine Quilting Class Starts tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes. I certainly will write down my questions rather than interrupting.
    Old 03-16-2015, 05:39 PM

Don't be afraid, we have recently had about eight new people join our club. Most of us are more than happy to help anyone who needs it. However, in any group there may be a couple of individuals who consistently require constant attention. We were all the new person one time or another. There is so much information available. I have acquired an enormous amount of assistance on line, and on this board. You will find all of it helpful.

Relax and enjoy the process.
    Old 03-16-2015, 06:02 PM

Leader should say something like: "If you need assistance or don't understand, please see me before/after class (or during break, etc)." And clarify by saying "You may not be able to finish this in class (or this weekend/retreat) and may need to finish on your own at home."

I'm a slow quilter/piecer/sewer and never seem to finish during class, so I reach out to the instructor to see if I can at least do the cutting prior to class.
    Old 04-04-2015, 05:55 AM

The retreat was grand and the lady we were concerned about did ask lots of questions and some just stopped and helped her. Knew we would but would like to help her do things for herself. As it turned out she was the least of the difficulties we had expected.

A member of the quilt police joined us. We know her (well we thought). She has been quilting about four years and it is always an easy pattern. Anyway she decided since there were new people attending she would "help" them by telling how they did things wrong and they needed to rip it apart and do it over. She didn't bother those of us who have been sewing for a longer time. Mine were full of things I should have done better. She made one think she should just give up and try something new. Another was in tears. Unfortunately I didn't hear her and we received the information at the end of the retreat.

The retreat was grand. Food delicious, accommodations great, friendliness abounded and blessed with the gift of fellow quilters.

If you haven't been on a retreat, try one. You don't have to go far, spend money or do much special. Just get together with other quilters whether you know them or not. After a whole day you will know them.

Jo
    Old 04-04-2015, 06:15 AM
    Power Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
    Had to have a grin at that solution because there really is no tactful one, it seems that she may be lonely and wants attention and no matter what you say will end it two ways, 1) She won't take a blind bit of notice or 2) She will get tearful and upset and leave making you all feel guilty and petty.
    This is one of the reasons I quilt alone.....
    Old 04-04-2015, 06:40 AM

There's always someone, it seems who is disruptive or rude. The rude ones have been difficult for me to handle until I learned to respond in like manner respectfully.
    there are those who need one on one instruction...group instruction may not be the place for them. It may be a habit or actually necessary for someone to continually be disruptive, but, if I can, I would help her.