Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
work or no work >

work or no work

work or no work

Old 04-19-2010, 12:18 PM

I work full time and frequently have to travel for my job. I pay my daughter to clean the house. I sew an hour here and there when I can, and at least once a month take a whole Saturday or Sunday to do nothing but sew. Fortunately I rarely do large quilts, just lots of wall hangings, lap quilts, and baby blankets. Those go pretty fast.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:40 PM

I also work fulltime. I work 40 hours a week in a very busy department store and I also clean houses on the side. I clean for 4 people a month. It gives me my sewing money so I don't feel guilty about buying fabric. I have wondered the same thing. I see so many beutiful quilts and it seems like they are posting new ones every week. Our kids are grown and gone so it is just hubby and me. I do have my own sewing room...nothing fancy but it is mine. I can leave things out and no one cares. I will usually try and sew before husband gets home or if he is at band practice. Just remember one thing, the important thing is to have fun with your sewing. We are not in any kind of race to get things done. It is my sanctuary to go in "my room" and regroup from my days events.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 PM

I work full-time Monday-Friday. The job I have now is the best and least stressful I've had, so lots of nights I still have the energy to sew. And I'm a night owl. My husband is unemployed right now and has been doing all the cooking (well truth be known he's always done the majority of cooking) and helps with other things. But I still don't get near as much done as others on the board as far as quilts. I'm lucky to get one or two a year, but I do a lot of smaller projects like tote bags, embroidery, wedding and baby gifts. Some of the people just amaze me here with all they crank out in such a short amount of time!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:44 PM

I also work full-time...80-90 hrs every two weeks. Hubby works full-time as well. We are both very supportive of each others' hobbies. (He loves to "play" with tractors. I've lost count of how many he now owns....and he is bidding on another one today!!!) We are in on-going renovation mode with our house, so house cleaning is not high on the priority list. I am very lucky to have a husband that not only will pitch in with the things that can't be left undone, (laundry, cooking, etc.) but he will TELL me to go and sew when he sees I am in need of some relaxing time!!! I also work in front of a computer all day, so by evening, my eyes are not always up to sewing. On those nights, after checking in here, I will pick up my knitting as I don't need to see what I am doing for that. (Been knitting for about 55-56 yrs!!!)

Patti
Old 04-19-2010, 01:26 PM

Time to quilt is a prob for me too. My 29 yr old daughter is now raising her 3 kids alone. Daddy used to babysit while she was at work but doesn't now. So I travel the 10 miles everyday to watch the kids. I'm here till late and don't get home till midnight. I try to quilt on the weekends, but even tht hasn't been possible lately. Sooo....I'm gonna make a grandmothers flower garden quilt all by hand...at least I can cut out here and eventually sew the little suckers tog. by hand. I couldn't possible set my machine up here. Grabbing a minute here and there is becoming the norm, although not preferred way! I don't even know if I'm ready for a GFG quilt, but here I go anyway...lol
~Bj~
Old 04-19-2010, 01:58 PM

I work full time and I come home fix dinner and sew. My kids are older I have no little ones. if you have little ones, I would make time when their napping..A little time is better than no time. Plus I sew on the week ends. I have the week ends free.(to sew)..I do the house work in between sewing...
Old 04-19-2010, 02:45 PM

charlene..i too worked for 35 years and raised 3 children and took care of all our parents..etc..etc..time goes by very quickly in life so please dont deprive yourself of your hobby...you may have to try a few different ways until you find the one that suits you best..1. can you sew for 15 min before you go to work?..2. how about late in the evening after all is done..what worked best for me was i picked wednesday..middle of the week..that was my day..no laundry..no cooking..no phone calls..everyone understood that was my day ..it was miy time for 4 or 5 hrs and i actually looked forward to that day...everyone and everything will servive...hope it works and because you are somewhat on a time limit you will find you actually become better organized,,good luck
Old 04-19-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
Right now I have the luxury of being retired and therefore my time is my own to use as I wish. I may have to go back to some sort of part-time employment in the future but for now I can sew to my heart's content
Hubby retired, but when he did ... both our son and daughter gave us a set of twins 13 months apart. Son also had a 3 year old at that time. Watching 2 sets of twins 4 to 5 days a week & getting older one off to school... WHEW! It's a chore for me.
Women .. do we ever get to retire? Ha Ha
Good news is ... since reading this addicting board & seeing all these beautiful quilts... Granny is going to have 'her' time a couple nites a week & Sundays. Will see what I can accomplish.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:11 PM

The only one imposing on me is myself. I can let things go but not for long. I can't stand the mess. I have to pick things up and sweep things up. My DH helps out a lot when he can. I feel very blessed to have a husband who helps around the house. I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who does not get to sew as much as I would love to.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:20 PM

I work full time too. My husband works odd hours though and goes to bed early, so the evening is mine.