Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why  would you hand piece a quilt? >
  • Why would you hand piece a quilt?

• Why would you hand piece a quilt?

Old 08-30-2010, 11:12 PM

I do a lot of hand quilting and 2 years ago I also started hand piecing the tops and backings for my wholecloths also. I like the look of a hand sewn seam much more than the machine sewn one.
    Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 PM

I absolutely love hand piecing, it is my relaxation time in the evening when I am not hand quilting ! Hand piecing is so easy to pick up and take with you. I am currently workin my way through Pat Yamin's 'One Patch Scrap Quilts' book, making each quilt out of scraps.
    Old 08-31-2010, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by sbrown04
    I know this is dumb--but what exactly is hand piecing? I am a quilter and have probably done but just didn't know it. I know you cut out pieces but usually I sew them together on my sewing machine. Except for the Sunbonnet Sue I did where I blanket stitched the design on my block. Is that hand piecing? Sorry for the dumb ?

Thx. [email protected]
    Hand piecing is nothing more than sewing the pieces of the block together by hand using a running stitch instead of your machine. I decided to try it becasue I had just come off a marathon quilting session - I made 7 table runners for a cheerleading fundraiser AND finished off my Thinking Outside the Block quilt that I am entering in the Durham Fair in the space of ONE month - my family saw very little of me between sewing and work so I wanted a project that I could take camping with me as well as something to do in the livingroom! I am really liking it because if you have a pattern that is picky - like odd angles or curved pieces - you have a lot more control if you do it by hand and it is much easier to match the seams. My Celtic Illusions blocks are coming out beautifully with perfectly matched seams!
    Old 08-31-2010, 04:07 AM

My first king size quilt was hand peiced and hand quilted---it took me 9 years!!! Ilike to had peice small things now but it's machine peicing for me now.
    Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by lindagor
    I started a Grandmother's Flower Garden using English Paper Piecing because of a tutorial recently posted on this board. I've done just about every other type of needlework as well. I do it for a couple of reasons; to create something beautiful and to feel productive while sitting in front of mindless TV programs with my husband.
    You should see the Grandmothers flower garden( hexagon )Quilt that won the Guiness Book of Records the link is:
    www.worldsbiggesthexagonquilt.blogspot.com There are a few different links but you should see the size of that quilt. I even did some of the sewing on it plus some of the blocks. it is worth seeing.
    Old 09-05-2010, 10:48 AM
    Banned

I HATE HATE machining, you can hand sew wherever and not just stuck in a sewing room, hand sewing is relaxing and not as regimented as machine.
    Old 09-05-2010, 11:39 AM

I do a mix of both although hand piecing and quilting and applique are always my first choice and only do something on the machine when absolutely forced but even then always hand quilt
    Old 09-05-2010, 05:18 PM

I love hand piecing and applique. It is relaxing - more forgiving than machine piecing. I have always enjoyed hand work since I was a teenager.
    Old 04-21-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by niizh
    I find any handwork is relaxing. When I ask my Mom why she did so much hand work, she said "it is better than Prozac." When making clothing, I disliked hand work, however, with quilting, applique, etc., it is a joy and really relaxes me.
    I totally agree! I tried to make a skirt by hand and i wanted to shoot people. But I really like piecing by hand, I feel like I have more control.

I'm fairly new, but I still do all my projects by hand.
    Old 04-21-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Annz
    I used to hand piece and loved how it made me feel but I haven't done it lately and I want so badly to get back into it. It is so theraputic and easy to take anywhere. Thanks for reminding me that I want to start something where I can start hand piecing again.
    I do dresden plates by hand when out and about. I like those for the portability and the fact that its just one line between each petal.