Quilters from Iowa

Old 09-19-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda

I take it you have an autistic in your family? If we've talked about it before sorry! I am so quick to forget things! LOL

I have a 9 yr old DGS who is autistic.

We're in SE Iowa.
Yeah, my 10 year old son has autism. He's very friendly though, everyone is drawn to him. :)
Old 10-04-2010, 01:27 PM

Indianola, Iowa about 30 miles South of Des Moines lived in Iowa all my Life don't think I could ever move but I like to travel. If there is anyone close to me please PM me so we can talk I'm kinda alone here and have the emptynest Syndrom would like a buddy to quilt with or at least talk to.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:57 PM

Born and raised in DBQ and moved to Waterloo in 96 to help my daughter with babysitting. I left my beloved DBQ for Grandbabies. A good trade but I sure miss the bluffs.
Found bike trails and quilting after moving to Waterloo and now 4 miles south in Washburn. I have designed and quilted 8 quilts for a very good friend's children and grandchildren plus several others. My friend had embroidered the State Birds to make a quilt for herself and husbaand and I was to help her make the quilt but saddly she passed away before we got started and her husband gave me the squares while she was in nursing home. I created the 1st quilt for her and she used the quilt altho she wasn't aware it was her birds, and then I was in the process of making 3 for her children. At her wake her youngest grandson said But I don't have a bird to remember gramma so I took one bird out of the Mothers and Dad's quilt and substituted a block of one of her pastimes like tea cups and teapots and Cubs Logo to fill in the empty areas. I have the last two to quilt yet. Turned out great. Everbody loves their quilts. Love to quilt. Illsa
Old 10-12-2010, 06:57 PM

I am from Dubuque. Started out on a farm in Long Grove, moved several times. Love Dubuque.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:49 AM

Sioux City here. We have a neat quilting group which originated at my former workplace. Coworkers moved here and there and continued in the group, inviting friends and relatives. We now have a group consisting of members in Florida, Wisconsin and Hawaii, along with Nebraska and Iowa. We are on our third scrap quilt. Doing a Roman Square in red, white and blue and an extra one to donate.

Always room for another one if you are in the area and interested.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:03 AM

Hello, Sioux City, we live in Marcus, about forty miles away. Do you meet at member's homes, or a public place? We have a small group, so we meet in homes. Your quilt sounds like fun, on alternate years we donate a quilt to an auction to benefit LifeSkills in LeMars. Piecefully, the old one
Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by the old one
Hello, Sioux City, we live in Marcus, about forty miles away. Do you meet at member's homes, or a public place? We have a small group, so we meet in homes. Your quilt sounds like fun, on alternate years we donate a quilt to an auction to benefit LifeSkills in LeMars. Piecefully, the old one
Guess I need to explain further....we make our blocks at home individually and then meet at the business where several of our members work every other month to swap blocks. The out-of-town gals snail mail theirs and the exchanged blocks are mailed back to them.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:41 PM

i am living in Ottumwa Iowa 47 miles from Chariton
Old 10-24-2010, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lepeercy
i am living in Ottumwa Iowa 47 miles from Chariton
Ottumwa is only 1 1/2 hrs from us. My mom and I used to go shopping in Ottumwa all the time when I was growing up. My DH is from Sigourney and we used to spend alot of time in Oskaloosa and Ottumwa. Havent been there for awhile now.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:22 AM

Ottumwa is about an hour and 15 minutes from here too. We go through there on our way to Fairfield, where my BIL has a hunting farm.