Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
frustraited! >

frustraited!

frustraited!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:15 AM

fuseable cutouts on fabric sandwich for Pringle cans (pencil holders) or other round containers to fill with cookies or other goodies
Old 12-04-2010, 10:45 AM

So sorry for all you're going through! I've also bitten off more than I can chew, but not for health reasons like yours. Since I teach, and have the week off after Christmas, I'm planning on wrapping what I've started for each recipient - even if it's just the fabric and a pattern. I'm enclosing a note saying that it will be completed and returned ASAP. What else dan we do? Prayers for you and your family!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by starlite
Help... I am getting further behind making gifts for christmas! 1st I got a bad cold 2nd I tore some tendons and ligaments in my foot 3rd my dh has to have surgry. I feel like a sinking ship! Any ideas for some quicker items to make? I have to sew for 9 count them 9 grands 4 girls & 5 boys all under 11 yrs. I am brain fogged! Any words of wisdom for the weary....Guess I needed to unload thanks for being here! Jan
Note book covers in modern colored fabrics.
Works for me 17 grandchildren.

Fleece scarfes for the older ones. They like the ones with the pockets at the end just long enough to get their hands in.

Gail
Old 12-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Sometimes although have the best intentions, it just doesn't get done. Set a deadline and if your projects aren't done by then, purchase gift cards and now you are WAY ahead for next year!
Old 12-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I am a grandmother of 11. There comes a time in one's life that you have to cry uncle. This is that time for you. Grandchildren LOVE having gift cards. Even my littles one at 3 was thrilled to have a "credit card". The older ones get what they want rather than things from gramma. Go ahead with gift cards -- even if it's only mere dollars. Explain that you're overwhelmed right now. Trust me, it'll be freeing for you!
I pray things will get better for you!!!! That's a lot to try to handle right now!

{{{HUGE}}}

d
I hear ya! Happened a few years ago -- everything was so overwhelming. So I made one trip to the mall and purchased mall gift cards (can be used anywhere in the mall). the kids loved them. The next year, we gave them WalMart cards. They loved those even more. So for many years we gave them gift cards to different places. Now we give money -- they want the cold cash and that's fine with us.

:wink: The older they get the more they really appreciate it.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:24 PM

We just celebrated Christmas at Thanksgiving with 7 of our away grandchildren. I had had big plans, but just as you experienced, unexpected things kept happening. I always make things for the grandchildren to put with the toys or other things, so they have come to expect it. What I ended up doing was making pajama bottoms for all 7 with a matching pillow case, and it was a big hit. I bought solid color tee shirts on sale at JoAnnis for $2 each to match. Although it may sound like a lot, they make up quickly. You can even wait to hem them until they have tried them on; I did this with a couple of them that I knew had grown a lot. Now I need to make these for our two grandsons who live near us. I love doing it, but next year I'm going to have to start earlier because I'm not as fast as I used to be:-)
Old 12-05-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by missionslady
We just celebrated Christmas at Thanksgiving with 7 of our away grandchildren. I had had big plans, but just as you experienced, unexpected things kept happening. I always make things for the grandchildren to put with the toys or other things, so they have come to expect it. What I ended up doing was making pajama bottoms for all 7 with a matching pillow case, and it was a big hit. I bought solid color tee shirts on sale at JoAnnis for $2 each to match. Although it may sound like a lot, they make up quickly. You can even wait to hem them until they have tried them on; I did this with a couple of them that I knew had grown a lot. Now I need to make these for our two grandsons who live near us. I love doing it, but next year I'm going to have to start earlier because I'm not as fast as I used to be:-)
Great idea. I buy the tee shirts too and put applique on them.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:51 AM

Our "Kids Zone" leader at church has given the same present to at least three parties for children I attended and her gift was the most popular among all the gifts. Gues what it was?????

A flashlight and batteries. The kids ran around with the flashlights, slipped into dark closets, hiding under quilts, behind furniture, etc. and just had a general all around good time!

Peggy
Old 12-19-2010, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
How about little wallets with a couple dollars tucked in them. There are a lot of simple patterns if you do a google search. The little kids think they are in heaven to have a grown up wallet with money in it. I made my grandaughter a simple little purse no pattern and filled it with things from the dollar tree. Pretend cell phone, little makeup mirror, lip gloss.
I have this same butterfly material. I used some scrapes to make a journal cover for one of my grand daughters. I covered some heavy cardboard, added batting to front and back, added ribbon for pad to hang over, and more to tie it together. I
have made 11 of them. Takes no time at all.