Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric. >

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:33 PM

That is a big yes. Everyone tell me that I have an eye for picking colors. However, I do not think that I do. It is so difficult for me. I spend hours trying to decide what I want to use. YUCK!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:39 PM

Choosing the fabrics for a quilt is the best part of making a quilt to me. Choose colors you like and colors that will go with the colors in the room. If color is the problem. Don't narrow yourself down, make a scrap quilt. Anything goes. :thumbup:
Old 12-03-2010, 01:15 PM

I too have had some difficulty picking out colors. The best thing that I have done is go with a friend to pick out colors. We complement each other. She was an interior designer and I am a math teacher. She will critic my colors and I tell her how much fabric to buy for a border.

Good luck
Old 12-03-2010, 01:33 PM

I love picking out fabric. I could spend a whole day in a fabric store and never get bored.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:54 PM

Picking out the fabrics does get easier with more experience. Color is NOT as important as using prints of similar character and with enough contrast between the different prints. I found working with scraps makes it easier. Also I stay away from medium toned fabrics and busy prints to get the high contrast I like.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:47 PM

I like to lay my fabric choices overlaping and stand back and look through the opposite side of binnoculars and see how I like them ! Might try that and you just may enjoy fabric shopping a little more !
Old 12-03-2010, 03:05 PM

Sorry, I am in hog heaven when it comes to picking fabric. It is my favorite part.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by merrylouw
I had that problem too, at first. How about if you take that Storm at Sea pattern back to your LQS, pick out one fabric that you LOVE and then ask the experts in the shop to give you a few suggestions for coordinating fabrics. It's their job, they do it every day. The more you watch them do it, the more it will rub off on you.

Just remember to have fun. That's what it's all about.
That's a great suggestion. Most folks in LQS love to pick out fabric.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 PM

I love to pick out fabric. I actually did it today at hobby lobby. Some birdhouse fabric, purplish backing with matching colors! Perfect for placemats for my sister who is bird finatic.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by MZStitch
My Mom gave me some cash for my birthday. I already had my plans for a king size storm at sea ready, so I headed to a favorite quilt shop today. I spent two hours wandering around the store, and left with nothing.
This past summer, same thing, I had a chance to spend a day in Lancaster Pennsylvania and many Amish quilt shops.. Left with nothing.
I love to quilt, I love the whole process of piecing, applique, free motion quilting. But when it comes to picking out the fabric, I'm at a loss.
I did buy one 1/4 yard piece to check the color out in my room, brought it home, didn't like it! On to another shop sometime next week! Argh.
Can I come and help you pick out fabric? That is my favorite part! Although it was not always this way, so there is hope!!! :-) :-) :-)