Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can you build up stash when life gets in the way >

How can you build up stash when life gets in the way

How can you build up stash when life gets in the way

Old 01-01-2011, 05:09 PM

We have a booth at the flea market that has fabric for $2 a yard and it is good fabric. This is a great place to buy fabric for your stash. Some of the ladies in my guild will clean out and bring it to meetings and give it away. Check with a guild.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by dogles
Recently I lost my husband of 34 years. We have three children and have 3 granddaughters. I have my youngest daugther and youngest granddaughter living with me. I live in a small 3 bedroom mobile home. I want to start quilting. so far the only thing I have done is the breast cancer awareness quilt for my sister and the cross stitch quilt for my middle granddaughter. I have a few scraps from these. I want to start quilting but don't have the money or the stash. How do I start to build up so I can quilt?
I am deeply sorry about your husband. I hope this small tip might help you in your gathering up of a stash.
One day quite a while ago, I happened to be in my local dry cleaners when the woman who does their alterations heard me mention something about making quilts and asked me if I would like her to save her "scraps" for me. Of course I said yes! About a month or so later I had to go to the cleaners again and she gave me what she had kept for me up to that time. I was amazed!! There were three big bags full of mostly cotton fabrics, (I had told her what I could use and what I couldn't.) You might want to try the same thing. Just ask anyone you might know who does any kind of professional sewing or alterations if they would save their left-overs for you. The other thing I like about her scraps is that they are so varied. Some of them I would never have thought of using, but they worked out just fine in a scrappy quilt. Good luck. 8-)
Old 01-01-2011, 08:26 PM

I belong to a quilt group at my church. We mostly work on our own stuff, but often make quilts for battered women, wounded soldiers and children's hospital. We always have a table where we can bring in what we don't want for the taking. We have no dues and meet once a month. I'm sure you could find something like that around. We have members from other churches and that don't attend church. We just love to get together and quilt. My prayers and blessings are with you and your family as you learn to live a new kind of normal.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:05 PM

Try your local Adult/Senior Centers, no, I'm not saying your elderly, but quite often they have classes, or someone has donated fabric, never hurts to ask, My family knows I really enjoy quilting so I asked for Gift Certificates to local shops. I too lost my husband several years ago, I feel your pain, but you must be stong for yourself and your children, please except my condolences in your lose
Old 01-02-2011, 03:09 AM

My sincere condolences, wish I couold give you a big hug but as I can't a cyber one will have to do :lol:

I am working on my stash, it is quite surprising how much one has left over from the quilts that you do, apart from this I also buy fabric when ever I see it on a really good sale such as $2 a metre.

I sometimes pick up remnants for 50 cents to a $1 and often find these remnants are anywhere from a half metre to more than a metre. I recently picked up a Japanese print panel for only 50cents and yet I know they sell them in my LQS for more than $17 so was very happy with that find. Then of course there are all the other suggestions which I have also found useful from time to time. Good luck with building yours up

Maybe1day
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM

My sympathy to you for the loss of your husband. I do know, from having lost a son a little over a year ago, that quilting can be a wonderful therapy. Everyone's suggestions are great - sales, thrift stores, etc. Best wishes to you and your family.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through. The first thing I did was ask DH how many miles you live from us. Then I saw all the wonderful women on this board that are willing to give/send you fabric. My heart is in the right place, just not the money. If we lived closer I could help you learn to quilt. You can ask any question on this board and the wonderful ladies here will respond quicker than you can imagine. My DH used to buy fabric for me at yard sales. I still like to shop at thrift stores for fabric.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by dogles
Recently I lost my husband of 34 years. We have three children and have 3 granddaughters. I have my youngest daugther and youngest granddaughter living with me. I live in a small 3 bedroom mobile home. I want to start quilting. so far the only thing I have done is the breast cancer awareness quilt for my sister and the cross stitch quilt for my middle granddaughter. I have a few scraps from these. I want to start quilting but don't have the money or the stash. How do I start to build up so I can quilt?
Maybe you could just tell yourself that the rent money your daughter pays you is for your fun money and that way you can go to a quilt shop and get some pretties. Good luck. Sorry for your loss.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 PM

If you want any of the fabric , just let me know and I will send it to you. All I need is you address. My email is