Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazines/they are piling up! >

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:38 PM

During the annual quilt show, our guild sets aside a table to display & sell the magazines guild members no longer want. We sell them for 50 cents each, last year we made over $400.00 just on the magazines, you can imagine how the table was groaning from the weight.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:50 PM

I am on step two. I have decided not to renew any magazines and use the $$$ to buy more fabric. However, I haven't reached the point where I do anything with the magazines I have piled up. I supose that's step 3.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:53 PM

We moved to a much smaller house and I had to go through all my quilting mags and was shocked to see how much better the quality of the quilts were in the older issues. I have dropped most of my subscriptions because of the cost...$5 to $7 per issue is more than I want to pay and most of them are loaded with advertising and the qults are something you could dream up yourself. I use my quilting books and make up my own patterns and use the money I could have spent on mags for fabric and necessary quilting notions. I do maintain my subscription to Quiltmaker and when I am done with them they go to my daughter. The other old quilt mags are up for grabs. Some have been taken to Quilt Guild and some given to family and friends but I still have boxes to get rid of.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:33 PM

:lol: I too have many magazines, what I am learning to do thanks to my SIL is to scan them and download the patterns and neat looking quilts and articles to my lap top and to put them on disk, much easier to store on a small shelf
Old 01-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Happy Treadler.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 PM

I love quilt mags but they are so expensive in my country according to our money. I wish I could get hold of them. Good luck to those who will get them.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:25 PM

I stopped subscribing a couple of years ago. Some issues had two or three articles I would like to make, others not a thing. Now I browse them in the newsagent and buy one if it has something I really need to make. The cost of the mag. is less than the cost of a lot of patterns here. It is surprising though, going back through old issues, how I find something appealing now that was passed over before. Tastes and needs change. I mark each pattern I want to go back to with a colour coded post it note - pink for quilts, purple for bags, yellow for cushions, blue for embroidery, green for miscellaneous and so on. My library has 3 different titles so I can take them out for a month, scan any patterns and instructions I like, and keep them in plastic sleeves. I LOVE my magazines but now I am more discerning.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:29 PM

Guess I'm in the minority here ladies. Too few projects for the cost of the mag; most of the pages are advertisements; For us elder quilters the print is waaaaaay to small to read with a magnifying glass; Without setting up a filing system its almost impossible to locate a project you've admired in the past; Mags take up valuabe space that's better used to store fabic, Fear of paper mites/bugs invading my fabric stash - need I go on.
Most things in a magazine can be found right here on this site and stored effeciently there for future use.
This site is worth more than any subscription I've seen.
Lovya'll
Janet
Old 01-15-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I LOVE quilting magazines, too, and what I did was go through & cut out the patterns & articles I knew I wanted to keep and put them into a sheet protector & then a 3-ring binder. Tossed the rest, which was hard for me but felt great after.

I knew there were a lot of quilts in there that I would never want to attempt to make. Saved a LOT of space. In fact, I just pulled out a really cute miniature quilt pattern last week from my binder. Worked great!

Trina
I do the same. I love quilt magazines but don't have the space to keep all of them so i cut out the patterns of the ones I'd love to make (someday) and put them in a binder. I'm on my second binder, but it still takes ou less space than all those magazines. I even have a binder for articles I want to save.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:56 AM

I've decided that I am only going to subscribe to my favorite. Fabric Trends. It is the best magazine as far as I'm concerned, hands down. All the others I'm saying good bye to.