Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first guilt meeting last night >

first guilt meeting last night

first guilt meeting last night

Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 AM

I went to my first guild meeting last night, Marcie Baker from Alicia's Attic (Colorado) was guest speaker. Since I have never been to a class or guild meeting before, or to a quilt show for that matter, I really enjoyed it. I only wish I had more money with me-I would have loved to buy a couple of the tools/notions she had! Anyway, there must have been about 100 people there! I didn't meet anyone, unfortunately. I sort of felt invisible, and I'm a bit shy, so I find it hard to introduce myself. Anyway, I tried! It would be nice if guild members were a little more conscience of new people attending, to try and make them feel welcome. I'm glad I only paid as a guest for the night.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I went to my first guild meeting last night, Marcie Baker from Alicia's Attic (Colorado) was guest speaker. Since I have never been to a class or guild meeting before, or to a quilt show for that matter, I really enjoyed it. I only wish I had more money with me-I would have loved to buy a couple of the tools/notions she had! Anyway, there must have been about 100 people there! I didn't meet anyone, unfortunately. I sort of felt invisible, and I'm a bit shy, so I find it hard to introduce myself. Anyway, I tried! It would be nice if guild members were a little more conscience of new people attending, to try and make them feel welcome. I'm glad I only paid as a guest for the night.
I'm sorry you had experienced a feeling of aloneness. My guild is not a large one only 90 mbrs to date. Most everyone welcomes a new comer even if a guest. We encourage them to return and usually someone will befriend her/him in the process. Look into another guild if possible.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:43 AM

I just saw Marci for the first time on youtube. I had never heard of her and now I'm reading about her at your guild meeting.
I learned how to close binding with no tools.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:45 AM

Marci's sister belongs to a group I belong to, and she came to help us start a quilt. We got a private lesson about lots of things and it was wonderful. Since then I have purchased a couple of things from her shop.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 AM

Please go back and try to talk to some members. Some guilds are so wrapped up in their projects they forget to welcome new members. However, that said, it is up to you to open yourself to conversations, you are the captain of your ship. Did you bring something to share? Show and Tell? Do that at the next meeting. It will give the other members an idea of who you are and what you do.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Maybe because there was a speaker scheduled, there was less opportunity to get to know people. Maybe try another meeting that is not so structured.

I also would probably be feeling the way you are right now. I really have to put myself out there and I'm not too comfortable with that in new situations.

But weigh your discomfort against what you hope to get with the guild. If you want what a guild can offer, give it another try. Or maybe there's another guild local to you.

After I saw someone post about going to a guild meeting (maybe you?) I googled guilds in my state. I was pleasantly surprised to find a good choice within a 1/2 hour drive, allowing for a match of personality to guild.

Here's the link for CA. http://www.quiltguilds.com/california.htm
Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
Marci's sister belongs to a group I belong to, and she came to help us start a quilt. We got a private lesson about lots of things and it was wonderful. Since then I have purchased a couple of things from her shop.
Lucky! I really enjoyed listening to her-then today looked at several of her videos on u-tube-very clear and precise-easy to understand. She was using the notions she had for sale last night. I really wish I had more money with me to purchase them last night. I know I can get them at a quilt shop, though. There was a workshop she was holding today, but I didn't sign up for it.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Corky
Please go back and try to talk to some members. Some guilds are so wrapped up in their projects they forget to welcome new members. However, that said, it is up to you to open yourself to conversations, you are the captain of your ship. Did you bring something to share? Show and Tell? Do that at the next meeting. It will give the other members an idea of who you are and what you do.
I was told I didn't need to bring anything-then I got there and there were several people that had quilts to share-a few brought small hand-projects-there were tables all around the room-one for their library and a small section of second-hand books for sale, sign up for a workshop, for a raffle, for a donation of placemats they are making for senior's meals on wheels, and a table with a bunch of "stuff" (scraps, bits and pieces) I guess were for sale, and a table with refreshments for the break. If I go back (I leave next month for 6-8 weeks), I will be sure to bring something to show and tell, and try to meet a few ladies.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:05 PM

It can be hard going to a meeting like that and feeling like no one notices you (been there, done that). I'm sorry the guild isn't more aware of new members. You'd think that when you paid for one night they might have asked if you were new and then taught you the ropes, so to speak. Did the other members have name tags? If so, make one for yourself and wear it to the next meeting. Do they give new attendees a chance to introduce themselves? It's hard to do, but stand up and give your name. Does the guild have a Web site? See if you can find out who is responsible for Membership or Hospitality or something on that order. Contact them and tell them you're new and ask if they have a reception or pre-meeting for new members. If not, can they give you any hints for finding your way around (for instance, in our guild, we have a "give-away" table, a library where you can check out books, a fat quarter of the month, a block of the month, etc.).

Please give it another try, and instead of waiting for someone to come up to you, keep telling yourself how lucky those ladies are that you decided to join their group. I'll bet there's at least one other person sitting by him/herself. Ask if you can have the chair next to them, sit, and start up a conversation. I'll be she'll be glad you did!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:21 PM

I was given a name tag when I paid as a guest. There was no mention at the meeting of guests, or new members. I guess I should have made more of an effort, but it would have been nice if the chairlady who seemed to run the meeting at least made mention of any new guests/members.