Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about quilting with flannel >

question about quilting with flannel

question about quilting with flannel

Old 02-17-2011, 07:58 AM

So I am fairly new to quilting and one of my best friends is expecting. :D So of course she will be getting a quilt LOL. I finely talked to her yesterday and have Green as the color for a boy. :lol:

Well after snooping around the fabric store yesterday I was thinking about branching out into flannels. So what do I need to know??? Any advice you can give me that you wish you had known before working with flannel the first time. Thanks as always.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

If you're planning to piece the flannel (instead of making a rag quilt), I highly recommend heavily starching the flannel before cutting. It stabilizes it so it doesn't stretch or distort on you while cutting and piecing.

My starching method is easy. I just mix up a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" the solution on with a large wall painting brush until fabric is saturated, toss in dryer, and iron with steam. Flannel comes out pretty stiff this way, similar to lightweight cardstock, and is *not* going to stretch on you. Of course you need to wash the quilt before giving it to someone!

Depending on the pattern, I also like to use 1/2" seams with flannel because of the potential for fraying.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

My only suggestion is to make sure you wash it. Twice. It shrinks a lot.